About The River

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Staying Centered

Staying Centered
by Collen Newquist

Every now and then, this happens: I get caught up in work, money, busyness, worry, stress, and what - ifs. I find myself freaking out about the future, anxious about the present, caught in a spiral where I want to wail with unhappiness. Then I stop and breathe and step off the dizzying merry-go-round that goes nowhere - and that I put myself on in the first place and I immerse myself in something that brings me back to my core like baking.
It's amazing how cooking can bring me back to my senses, in all meanings of the word. It is a type of meditation for me, or prayer. It is a way of giving thanks, of showing appreciation for family and friends. It's awakening that pulls me into the moment with the savory goodness of flour, butter, yeast, cinnamon, and the simple acts of slicing, stirring, sauteing, shaping. Cooking is so basic, so necessary, and so good for my soul.
That, I decided, is what makes for a balanced life: pursuing what is essential to my well-being and soothing to my soul. When I keep that criteria at the forefront, life like is baking a homemade pie - so satisfying and so delicious.
 

1 comment:

  1. Your posts have been so profound and meaningful recently. I've been getting a lot out of them. They've definitely made me think and smile. I'd be happy to have you bake for me anytime you need to feel centered :)

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!