About The River

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Homemade Autumn Garland

Last week we got together with some friends and made some Autumn garland to decorate our house with. 
 Gather some fall colored card stock paper or construction paper, twine and a leaf punch. If you do not have a leaf punch you could use a real leaf for a pattern or a leaf cookie cutter.

Punch your leaves or cut out your leaf design. Cut your twine the length you want it and glue your leaves on. We used Elmer's glue to glue our leaves on to the twine.  My boys liked to match up a different colored leaf to each side.  We were using small leaves, it was a bit hard to keep the leaf on to the twine to dry. Our friend came up with the idea to hold the leaf with a clothespin. The idea worked great!
 I used some of my garland to make a pretty bow on my corn.
I love the purple oak leaf. We used yellow, orange, red and purple paper. A deep burgundy, brown and a green would look nice too.
 Decorating my kitchen window.
 I took a few photos, it looked so pretty to me.
 This was a fun project.
The next time I do it with kids, I will use a larger leaf pattern. The small leaf was hard to glue on to the twine. But with a bit of patience and clothes pins, we got it to work.

Happy Crafting!

5 comments:

  1. Carla, the corn bouquet is beautiful, but that window display with birdhouses and your leaf garland just makes me smile! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty and fun. I love crafting with my kids. A garland is a really good idea!! Your window looks so pretty.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you're talking. I love to see craft projects. Your window looks so cute with your garland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely fall decoration. I especially love it wrapped around the corn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and clever. I love how it turned out. If you have access to a cricut - maybe you could use one to cut bigger leaves.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!