About The River

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Roll Out the Barrel ~ Hodgepodge

Welcome to the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.
We answer.






1. Besides left over Easter goodies, what's something currently kept in a basket at your house?

I love baskets. So I have books in baskets. I have hats and mittens in baskets. I have a knitting project in a basket....I could go on and on. 

2. 'The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.' ~Michelangelo Buonarroti 

So which one are you...the one who aims too high, or the one who aims too low? Have you ever seen The Sistine Chapel? Did you know Michelangelo's surname prior to answering this question? 

 I aim high. I always want to do my best or better. At times it has gotten me in a situation that I know I took on too much for myself. I keep on and try to reach the goal.

I have not seen The Sistine Chapel.
Yes, I did know Michelangelo's surname prior to answering this question.

3. April 7th is National Beer Day. Hmmm...wonder how that's celebrated? Do you like beer? Have a favorite? If you're not a beer drinker do you have any recipes you enjoy cooking that call for beer?

Ha! My son's birthday is April 7th! I will have to let him know that it is National Beer Day!
I live in a beer drinking state...Wisconsin!
And we have a special song to celebrate!

 Since the 1970s, it (usually the Frankie Yankovic version) has been played during the seventh inning stretch at Milwaukee Brewers baseball games, as well as becoming one of the state of Wisconsin's unofficial state songs as it is also played at numerous University of Wisconsin sporting events, as well as Green Bay Packers home games, and Milwaukee Panthers basketball games, including after every home win.

I do not drink beer. I do have a favorite beer,  Leinenkugel. I like the story of how it got started. My husband shared with me about the Indian Princess on the Leinenkugel logo. 

I like to soak brats and hot dogs in beer before grilling.
I also enjoy using beer to grill chicken.


4. When did you last travel somewhere new? Tell us where? How'd it go?

For my birthday, my sister treated me to a weekend to Chicago, Illinois. It was the first time to Chicago for me and my sister. We enjoyed a great adventure.


Up on top of Willis Tower

5. The value of _________________________is greatly overrated.

The value of STUFF is greatly overrated.
 
 6. What's a pet peeve of yours when it comes to restaurant dining?

Only 1 napkin. I am a napkin person and usually need 2 or 3.

 7. It's Poetry Month...share a favorite poem, either the title, a few lines you find meaningful, or the whole kit and caboodle.

Robert Frost is one of my favorites.



The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 
 
 
 8. Insert your own random thought here. 
Wood Tick season is upon us in Wisconsin.
I hate Wood Ticks!! 
 

   

17 comments:

  1. Being a Wisconsinite I related to so much of what you said here! Love it all---except for the wood tick. HATE those things! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when they bring extra napkins with the food!! I never have enough it seems. I love baskets too!! I like beer but only in certain situations..wine is more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already pulled a dead tick of my hairy corgi. Yea Advantix. I could never visit that window on Willis Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baskets too and I think brats are close to kielbasa so we had the same answer there too. When I eat out I feel like I am always asking for extra napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.) I have 6 jelly beans left in my small Easter basket.
    2.) I aim for the middle. I have seen the Sistine Chapel in a video but I didn't remember Michelangelo's surname.
    3.) I love beer in the summer. I prefer a Schooner.
    4.) A few weeks ago I drove to Moncton N.B. after a snow storm. The roads were messy for the three and a half hour drive both ways.
    5.) I agree with you. we have too much stuff and it's not a good thing.
    6.) My issue with restaurants is that we are not all served at the same time when we go as a small group for breakfast. A few more napkins would be helpful too.
    7.) My favorite poem is The cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service. Probably because My daughter could recite the whole thing by heart with such great expression. I just love to listen to it being recited...
    8.) I worry about tick bites too.

    Take care,
    Hugs,
    JB


    ReplyDelete
  6. April 7th is my mom's birthday! She does not like beer, at all!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have traveled all over North American and been to Europe five times including Germany three and can definitely state the worlds best beer is brewed in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin and is called Leininkugles Honey Weisse........:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your son had a great birthday! I love grilling with beer, but also take sips for myself in between. We have sand ticks over here..but not out yet. Still have ice in the river. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and brother enjoyed a visit to Chicago a few years ago, too! I dread tick season, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh... A wood tick already? Say it isn't so!
    I did chuckle at the beer question... Funny question for anyone who lives in Wisconsin.
    Honey Weiss is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday! I like the shots from Chicago. Ticks are here too - already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I love this series - so fun! I aim high too and love baskets - for everything! Oh my - wood ticks, yuck! We have deer ticks which carry Lyme disease so I'm super paranoid about those. It's only a matter of time before they are hanging around here again - ewwwwwww!!!! Have a great day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post....and love poetry. This was a good choice! Walking out in a glass container....not so sure! hahaha! I mentioned you on my blog this morning! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! I'll get out the Frontline today. Hate wood ticks! Your trip to Chicago sounds wonderful. Did you get to the Field Museum of Natural History? That's my favorite. There are so many interesting places to see in Chicago. It would be fun to take the train there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carla, my son just told me it was national beer day on Tuesday, and I didn't realize there was such a day. :~)Happy Birthday to your dear son. It's nice to get to know you better. Robert Frost is one of my favorites too. I like number 5, the value of stuff. I bet this was a fun post to do. Delightful answers.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to remember the brats in beer thing. I've never done it, but am sure I've had them that way somewhere. Ticks-ugh. Our black dog has to be checked daily as we back up to woods, and have lots of deer in our area. Hope your son had a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My pet peeve at restraunts is when there are 30 open tables and you're seated right next to other people.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!