About The River

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

It is a Take Me Out To The Ballgame Hodgepodge


Hello ~ It is Wednesday, it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks us the questions.
We answer the questions.
 






1.  Did you do anything 'memorable' this past weekend?

We spent time with my parents. Our boys enjoyed making memories on my parents farm.


2. Ronald Reagan is quoted as saying-

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."  

Your thoughts? Do you somehow acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms you enjoy? Did your upbringing contribute to that sense of appreciation? If you're a parent, are there specific things you do to pass on this sense of responsibility and appreciation to your own children in regard to the freedoms they enjoy?

My Grandpa served in WWII. Many of my dad's friends served in Vietnam. My dear friend Marv, fought in the Korean War. Our neighbor served in the Gulf War.  Talking with all of these great people makes me appreciate the freedom we have as a people. Many stories, stories of survival, stories of watching friends die and stories of coming home and not wanting to go back to the front.
We have taught our boys about the sacrifice many of our service men and women do for all of us. One way we encourage them to learn more is we have many friends in the Military. We send care packages, try to get in touch with them when they are home on leave and listen to their stories.

 

 
3. Loudest noise you've ever heard?

Lately, it is the truck down the street. WAY to LOUD!!!

4. What was the last thing you ate that might be considered 'junk food'? Did you enjoy it?



My husband loves to grill. Hamburgers with a slice of Wisconsin Colby cheese melted on top. Add a few homemade Onion Rings! 
Yes, I enjoyed it!

 5. When was the last time you were somewhere the crowd felt 'packed in like sardines'?


 Heading up to the top of the Willis Tower/Sears Tower in Chicago. I really felt packed in to the elevator. I was not comfortable at all. I hate packed in elevators. The attendants at the elevator just continued to pack the people in to the elevator, just like sardines!


 6. Are you organized when it comes to packing for a trip? Do you make a list weeks in advance or toss items in last minute? Are you a carry-on only sort of packer or do you need an entire suitcase for your shoes?


 I am an organized packer. I like to plan my outfits for the days of the trip. I am a planner, so yes I have lists in advance and a list of the lists. ;-)
I like to pack light. I am a one bag for me kind of girl.

7. What was the last sporting event you attended in person? Did your team win? Did you care?

 I love Baseball!
I have not attended a game as of this season. I hope to get to an Eau Clarie Express game yet this summer. 
My last baseball game was last summer in Great Falls, Montana. My husband treated me to the Great Falls Voyagers vs. Helena Brewers.

 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


 We have been blessed with many rain showers this past weekend. The frogs are just singing. I love to listen to the frogs sing at the pond I walk by on my daily walk. It just makes me smile.

18 comments:

  1. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    Your header photo is very lovely, the shimmering blue water against the back drop of dark forest is astounding.

    Answer to the first question is fabulous. We got our freedom after a long struggle and many sacrifices including lives. But it it not more than a generation away. We got freedom from foreign occupation but now our politicians have become our new masters. Most of the laws in a democratic country is designed to favor the rich and powerful, the corporations and the industrialists and not the common man.

    The burger photo took my breath away. I looks very alluring and absolutely delicious.

    It is very hot here and we are waiting for our monsoon.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun, Carla. I am a one bag kind of girl, too---and I make lists and add to them as I go along and double check them before I leave. lol
    Loved all your answers-especially #1!!! xo Diana

    ps-now I want a burger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Sears tower elevator was crazy packed when we went. The observation deck wasn't too bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Carla, that one pic of the Sears Tower isn't even funny. You wouldn't get me out in that little observation room for anything! YIKES. I love your first photo and the one of the cat helping you pack. LOL I'm a one-bag kind of person too, and like I said, next time it will be EVEN SMALLER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get nauseous just looking at that picture of the Sears Tower! That cheeseburger and onion rings look so delicious. Can I have the recipe for the onion rings? I've been craving them lately and have never made them. I thought for sure that was a restaurant photo. Have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember going up the elevator to the Sears Tower. You are right, it was packed! I hated it, but once you are up there it wasn't too bad. Of course I would not have gone out on that suspended platform thing. Nope, no way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing the frogs sing around the pond we walk by too. I'm a lister as well!That burger looks like it's from a fancy burger joint! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheeseburgers are my favorite meal of all time. And homemade onion rings...oh my! I would be in heaven! I'm glad you had a nice holiday weekend. Love your post! Play ball! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carla, loved hearing your answers. I like to pack light also when we go on trips. I know what you mean about packed in elevators. I've never been in any that were that packed. I think I'd wait til the next one came around. :~) That cheeseburger and onion rings sure does look good. There's nothing like a good juicy burger, is there?

    Have a wonderful week, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carla, Glad you and your family had time on the farm with your parents. Your boys are learning about the sacrifices of veterans the same way I did. It's an important lesson and one that means more the older we get.
    John and I went to many Atlanta Braves games when we were younger. Atlanta is building a new stadium currently near where my brother lives. That burger looks so good; I LOVE onion rings! That's a cute pic of the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Carla. Great answers. Onion rings! Yum. Good for you for getting in that elevator and going up. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like singing frogs, too. I am eating french fries as I type...and I do not like crowded anythings anymore. I'm getting old! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite post of the week! Always love hearing your thoughts and stories, love what you shares about your Grandpa! Sweet! Also cool/scary Sears Tower pics and oh my
    - did you say HOMEADE onion
    Rings?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my... You have to know I am going to comment on the food first! I totally thought that was restaurant food! Those burgers and onion rings are perfection!
    I think it is great that your boys have to opportunity to hear so many stories and learn from Veterans.
    I don't like being a sardine, so probably wouldn't have handled that elevator ride to well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Onion rings sounds like a great idea! I'm making those this week. Your brave to get in that elevator. I just couldn't no wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That high up window gives me vertigo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had a head for heights !!!

    Good to read this post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!