About The River

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Hello September ~ it is the Hodgepodge

Happy September


 It is Wednesday, time to join up with the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.





1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun? 

Autumn hiking. It is our favorite September activity.




We also visit Cain's Apple Orchard in September. It is our favorite Apple Orchard.

 2. You might be described as a natural born _____________________?

I asked me husband to answer this for me. 
He answered, " you are a natural talker. Not sure the word for it, but you are a natural talker. 
You can talk to anyone."
 
Someone who can just talk to anyone. It is easy for me to talk to people.


3. September is National Courtesy Month...what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 
 
Language...I am so tired of hearing the Fword in my community. 
I heard two people saying the Fword trying to pick out a flavor of cereal at the grocery store.
 
 
4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 
Eager beaver.
Our garden has done very well this year. I am busy trying new recipes. I am pickling cucumbers and beans. I am even thinking of trying Dilly Carrots.
I planted a grape vine two years ago. The grapes are almost ready and our vines are loaded with clusters of grapes. 
An eager beaver, that is me.

5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?
 
We do not go to the movies often.
My stomach does not agree with theater popcorn. I usually do have a drink.

6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?

I agree. I honestly think we need to be exercising our mind so we can keep our minds fresh.

 7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?

In April we had to have our basement wall replaced. 
After the wall was in place and all was done. We had a mess to clean up. 
We cleaned our basement! 
My husband and I sorted and cleared away stuff that had been sitting around.
It was not all that fun at the start. It felt great when we finished. We really gave our basement a good cleaning and got rid of a lot of stuff we did not need.



8.  Insert your own random thought here. 


What is your favorite apple?
 

15 comments:

  1. I love that apple picking ladder. i never saw one lke that. Everywhere we go picking apples, they have dwarf trees.
    Which reminds me to try to go pick apples this fall.

    Enjoy September.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to an apple orchard . Looks like fun to pick apples straight from the tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! That ladder looks scary! LOL And amen to #3. Similar to my answer.

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to go apple picking! I like pinata and jazz apples and honey crisp are probably my favorite..a new one that I found was envy. YUM! You have the gift of gab! That's great to have and puts people at ease. :) I don't like movie theater popcorn either. I usually sneak a coffee in and sometimes I'll have a sliced apple. Your basement was such a big job but you must be so happy it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a natural born "talker" myself. My mom told me that by 18 months (when my brother was born) I was having full on conversations and I am not sure I've come up for air since! ;) Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  6. September is a great month for hiking. It's usually beautiful. Probably my favorite month... maybe tied with May. You eager beavers getting the basement cleaned out! My favorite apple is McIntosh. Last year we had none. Until then that tree was always loaded! Sorry to hear about the trees you lost. :-((

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy September, Carla. This was a fun post to read. I like to talk, too. However, I am a great listener. So, you could talk away and I could listen and ask lots of questions. :) Over coffee? That would be nice. I know your basement project was hard work, but it was a job well done. I hope you have a wonderful autumn. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a talker :-) and am sick of the "F" word also...it has become such a common part of our language!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Gala apples best. And I can't wait to get back to hiking soon. We'll have to wait until it cools off more but it's something to look forward to! Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - but you knew that :) I am an Eager Beaver too my friend! I think I'm a natural born...hermit! I love my solo time! We love September hiking when it's cool and crisp! My favorite Apple? Macintosh, no question! How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love apple picking ladders they are so unique and cool. This one is great. I just went to the apple orchard by us and got some wonderful apples too. It is still holding with summer here in Illinois but it was fun to visit early to the apple farm. Have a great day.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely autumnal shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooo excited to hear more about your grapes! I have never even picked a grape, so you have me completely intrigued.
    Snow Crisp are my favorite apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that first photo
    ... your apples pictures look great too.
    September is a good harvest time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to hear that Henry Ford had more to say for himself beside that 'as long as it's black' comment.
    Amalia
    another natural born talker

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!