About The River

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Hello November, it is the Hodgepodge

Hello November

Welcome to the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.



1. Besides Thanksgiving, something you're looking forward to on your November calendar?
I have  plans to meet up with friends during the month of November. I always enjoy that. 

 2.  If I gave you a thank you card right now who would you send it to and why?
 My mom.
She created some lovely items for my Thanksgiving Blog Giveaway!

 3. Of the breads listed, which one's your favorite...bagel, cinnamon, sourdough, garlic, banana, biscuit, pita, Naan, or plain old fashioned white bread?
Banana!! I love warm banana bread with real butter. 
YUM!

 4. What's something you have in abundance? Is that a good thing?
Parsnips!
I think I planted too many. They did very well, which is a good thing.
I need ideas on preparing parsnips for my family.
And my boys are NOT real crazy about parsnips so far. 
Ha!

 5. November 5th is National Love Your Red Hair Day. Are there any redheads in your family? Who's your favorite redhead?
No, redheads in my family.
Who is my favorite redhead?
1982 Annie - I love this version of Annie.
 
 

 6.  The travel website Busbud recently calculated the most Instagrammed spot in every state. Go here to see what made the list where you live. Are you happy with your state's #1? If not what do you think should be the most photographed spot in your state? Have you snapped a photo there? If you live outside the USA answer as it relates to your state, city or province.

Rock Island State Park was the spot for Wisconsin. I have not visited the Island, but I think it would be lovely from the photos I looked at on line.
Wisconsin is an amazing place. It is full of beauty in every direction. I would not be able to pick one spot.

7. I'm going to try to have something related to gratitude in this spot each week during the month of November. Here's this week's question-

What's something you've learned about yourself this year that you're grateful for?

It is okay to say, NO. This has not been easy for me. It has taken years. 
I am a people pleaser at heart. I can take on too much. Over the years I have burnt myself out.
I am very thankful with the progress I made this year.


8. Insert your own random thought here. 





When do you start to decorate for Christmas?

Do you have your Christmas shopping started?
 

 

21 comments:

  1. So fun! I agree with you, I'm nothing like banana bread and real butter! No redheads and my family either, that 1982 version of Annie with one of my favorites as a child though :) lots to be grateful about this November! As for Christmas separation, I have not started...I like to incorporate some seasonal fall colors in between Halloween and Christmas but I'm definitely looking forward to making a winter wonderland soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers. I'm looking forward to slowing down in November and I love getting ready for Christmas. I plan on leaner Christmas this year. Will it happen??? I don't know.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a biscuit girl...yes, with lots of butter...and I recently learned that I am stronger than I thought I was. I am grateful for that. I just hope I can remember it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parsnips! Hmm, I have only ever roasted them with carrots. I like them, but my family....not so much. Good for you on the saying no! Isn't it nice to get older and wiser about stuff like that?

    On Christmas declarations...here's my rule...not until after Thanksgiving. I don't listen to Christmas music until then either!

    Have a great day Carla!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! My son and a few other family members meet every year and camp out on Rock Island. It is a rugged camping trip and sometimes a bit treacherous to get there- depending on water conditions...but they all love doing it.

    Hope you have a great Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post. Your self observation in #7 is a really good one. I was always too much of a yes person too. Christmas? Not yet. Definitely not yet! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the log and red leaf pic at the top of your blog-so pretty! I just got a gift I ordered in the mail today. I haven't done much, but do have a couple of stocking stuffers, and I'm working on a homemade gift for one of my girls, so that's in process. I love to roast parsnips on a baking pan at high heat, drizzled with a little maple syrup. Yum! I add them to stew sometimes....sometimes I find they make the stew too sweet and I like mine savory. I think they're very similar to carrots, so anything you do to carrots (cooked) would likely work with parsnips. I make a cream of parsnip soup that is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your learning say no! I have had that same problem over the years. I still feel a bit guilty when I do turn people down at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I didn't know there was a National Red Hair Day!!! No red hair in our family ...

    Christmas decorations wait until December, usually a weekend complete with Christmas goodies, wine and Christmas music - well why not.
    I have now got two packs of Christmas Cards but I need to get some more ... and soon!

    Happy November Wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I didn't know there was a National Red Hair Day!!! No red hair in our family ...

    Christmas decorations wait until December, usually a weekend complete with Christmas goodies, wine and Christmas music - well why not.
    I have now got two packs of Christmas Cards but I need to get some more ... and soon!

    Happy November Wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I would have written 'Annie,' if I had thought of her. I LOVE that particular version of the story. I've put that DVD on for the grandkids when they came and they'd never seen it, but loved it instantly! Parsnips, my favorite. Pare them, cut them into narrowish strips, and bake them in the oven along with hunks of green and red pepper, onion, and sweet potato (and regular potatoes too, if you like). Just before baking, toss all veggies in a large ziploc bag with olive oil and sprinkle with s&p and cayenne. Bake at 400 for a half hour or so. Parsnips take longer than the others, so cut them accordingly. Sorry, I suppose I could have emailed this! Have a wonderful weekend, Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We adore parsnips and discovered this summer how wonderful they are sauteed in butter. Since we eat low carb, we substitute them for potatoes as our side dish with steak. Yum! I don't start decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, and no. . .I haven't started Christmas shopping. But then, we don't do a lot of exchanging of presents, so it's not a big deal here. Enjoy the rest of your week, Carla. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes. I finally figured out how to get your new comment set up to work with my computer. Seriously. I'm a natural computer idiot....:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM @ Banana Bread...omgosh, I could eat my weight in that stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to google Rock Island Sate Park to learn where that was! That must be one of the infamous Door County destinations! I am sooo with you on Banana Bread, and I haven't had any in ages!
    Christmas shopping? I am a silly person who doesn't start until there is snow on the ground. I need the snow to get me in motion :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Hodgepodge Carla. I love your Banana Bread!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't made banana bread in years but I love it with real butter too! Annie, that a great choice for a redhead. I am a people pleasure too but I did have to learn to say no years ago when I was on PTA at the school. I have some Christmas presents bought. I will start my trees before Thanksgiving. We are not having anyone over so they may as well be up early since I have lots of ornaments to put on them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I smiled when I read that you love warm banana bread and butter, me too! Jess' boyfriend makes us a loaf every Christmas, and he puts chocolate chips in it as well. It is so yummy. I would love to visit Wisconsin someday, Carla. It sounds so lovely.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmn! Banana bread! My daughter just made some!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!