About The River

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Hello Wednesday, it is the Hodgepodge

Happy Wednesday

It is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.

 1. What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general?
Life can be hard. Full of ups and downs. What I have learned is how I react to it.
I try to keep this advice from Charles Swindoll in mind as I go along. 




2. Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year...awesomesauce, beer o'clock, brain fart, buttdial, cat cafe (apparently this is a real thing), fatberg (gross-read the definition here), fat shame, hangry, Mx (gender neutral), and skippable. 

Your thoughts? In looking over the list, which word do you find most ridiculous? Which word would you never in a million years say out loud? Which word would you be most likely to use in conversation?
 
 I do not think I would use any of the following.
I sometimes pick up fun words my boys make up, I think I will stick with that.

 3. Do you like gravy? Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy? Do you make your own or buy the canned or store-made variety? Turkey and gravy, sausage gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast and gravy...which one on the list is your favorite?

No, I do not usually like gravy. I think it covers up the taste of the food too much. I will put a little on some of my foods if it is offered. 
We do not make gravy here at our house.
My mom will make it, homemade and I will have a little of hers.

 4. Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces? Explain.

Yes, I am a planner! Yes, I usually need a plan of some kind. It is okay if the plan needs to be adjusted. I do not get all bent out of shape if it does. I am flexible.
Yes, I had a plan fall into a trillion pieces. When this happens, I sometimes cry, depends on what the plan was, and move to plan B.

 5. November 19 is National Play Monopoly Day. Do you own the original or some version of the game? Do you enjoy playing Monopoly? How likely is it you'll play a game of Monopoly on November 19th? Ever been to Atlantic City? Ever taken a ride on a railroad? Is parking in your town free? Last thing you took a chance on?

Yes, we have the original game and the Star Wars version.
Yes, I enjoy playing  Monopoly. I loved playing with my mom when I was in middle school.
I will not have time to play Monopoly on November 19th. I already have plans.
No, I have not been to Atlantic City.
Yes, I have taken a ride on a railroad.
Yes, parking is free in my town.
The last thing I took a chance on? The United States Postal Department. I honestly think the U.S. Mail service has it in for me. My mail, my packages get sent all over the the place, but to the person who is to receive them!
My parents live two hours East of Cameron....it took a over a week for my mom to receive a letter in the mail from me.
I think I could do a blog series on my U.S. Mail Stories.
This is kind of funny, my grandma worked for the U.S. Mail for 40 years! She had a rural route. I helped deliver mail with her many times.

 
6. A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning?

Thank God I am a Country Boy


 7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude....what is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for?

My home. I can take my warm house for granted.  
Yesterday, it was cold and rainy here in Wisconsin.
After running some errands, it was so nice to know, I would come home to a nice warm house.

8. Insert your own random thought here.  

Next Wednesday, I will be traveling to my parents for Thanksgiving.
Wishing all my Wednesday Hodgepodge readers, a Happy Thanksgiving. 



Over the river, and through the wood,
To Grandfather's house we go;
the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
through the white and drifted snow.
Over the river, and through the wood,
to Grandfather's house away!
We would not stop for doll or top,
for 'tis Thanksgiving Day.
Over the river, and through the wood—
oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose
as over the ground we go.
Over the river, and through the wood—
and straight through the barnyard gate,
We seem to go extremely slow,
it is so hard to wait!
Over the river, and through the wood—
When Grandmother sees us come,
She will say, "O, dear, the children are here,
bring a pie for everyone."
Over the river, and through the wood—
now Grandmother's cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!
Lydia Maria Child
 
 

21 comments:

  1. Always enjoy reading these! I love that song and it always reminds me of Thanksgiving! I can't believe some of those words added to the dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebrating with your parents! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO surprised that you have a StarWars version of Monopoly! (LOL) I imagine your guys playing it with those little Lego men. Anyway, I so agree about the plan. I think we have the same attitude about planning. Plan, but be flexible. No sense in destroying my or anyone else's day if it doesn't pan out. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote on attitude is amazing, very true and all things that I know, but too often forget. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the attitude quote,, words to live by for sure!
    Loved that photo of the little horse drawn sleigh!
    And Thank God I'm a country boy, great song choice!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your folks!!
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard a few of those words like beer o'clock and buttdial but the rest are pretty much new to me. I don't use any of those words either. The attitude quote is very true.
    have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, we seriously are seperated at birth Carla! Like you, I find those words silly, especially awesomesauce (really what IS that?). I'm not a gravy fan but we have the the Star Wars monopoly AND the original and I'm a total planner. My husband also has the tickets for the Force Awakens on 12-17-15 it's like a holiday in our house - or at least for my hubby! I hope you have a safe trip to your parents for Thanksgiving and I am thankful for our friendship and the smiles you give me - almost daily! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. No gravy at your house? That is one of my favorite things at Thanksgiving dinner. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving at your parent's house, Carla. I love this song "Over the River," but I always thought it was "through the woods." I may be mistaken.

    It's nice to get to know you better through these hodgepodge posts, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love to read and get to know you better. Are you SURE you are a Wisconsinite? No gravy? lol...MyHero grew up on CANNED gravy and had to get used to REAL gravy...lol

    You are appreciative of the same things I am ...coming home to a warm, welcoming home. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate playing Monopoly, luckily my kids have a monopoly card game which is over quickly. Their aunt however loves the game and has a great collection of different versions of it, so likes playing when she sees them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh... those words... I am in shock that some of those are even words! Even more so, I am embarrassed to admit that I use 'buttdial" because my boss does it to me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carla, Stopping by to wish you and your entire family a most blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Carla. Safe travels. Enjoy.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carla, what a great post! I love John Denver and Monopoly! And like you, am thankful for a warm home and bed every single night! Hope you have a most wonderful Thanksgiving with your family...safe travels! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always have the best, well thought out answers for these questions! And they do reveal so much about the nice person you are. Have a wonderful family Thanksgiving, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have some similar mail stories too. Surely there is less mail to be managed with so much online now? Have a wonderful time with your family! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post Carla ...
    Have a wonderful family time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice answers and thanks for sharing the attitude quote.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I shared this post with my girls! :) Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!!!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!