About The River

Monday, January 11, 2016

Melon, Melon and more Melon



Over Labor Day weekend of 2015, my friend Lori took me to a Growers Produce Auction.

 Growers Produce Auction
2347 Dell Road
Cashton, Wisconsin

Just off County Hwy D



  
This was my first time attending a Growers Auction. Oh my, it was fun!
We purchased watermelon and muskmelon.
 


 I am in the crowd.


 Parking!


Now back to the taste of summer in the middle of winter!
With the 12 muskmelon we purchased, we decided to freeze the melon.
Using a scoop, we made melon balls. It was easy. The reward is opening a bag of fresh melon in January.
 


 Taking a scoop, scoop your melon out.



Place your melon balls on a pan and place the pan in the freezer.


 Freeze the melon balls over night.


Bag your melon balls into freezer bags or freezer containers of your choice.
On a cold winter day...enjoy!

 






20 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks delicious!! Sounded like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it sounds like a wonderful day. I didn't realized you could freeze watermelon balls. What a treat in the winter time.
    I was reading the planting guide. Plant 3 rows of Peas and 4 rows of squash but I couldn't read the rest.

    Thanks for sharing this and have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea!! I will have to do that once summer arrives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to take the melon and freeze it so you could enjoy it in the dark days of winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still amazed that I had not thought of this. You are so clever! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this with some melon last summer. It works great in a smoothie too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please! I never knew you could freeze melon! Why?! There's nothing like a fresh melon and I would love to enjoy some during the Winter months! Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea you could freeze melon balls. Would love to have a bag to open right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought of freezing melon, but why not? we freeze all kinds of other fruits and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! That looks so delicious! I can almost taste it...and how wonderful to have some summer in the dead of winter! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carla, I've never heard them being called muskmelon, how interesting. We call them cantaloupe here. My dad used to love cantaloupe, but honeydew is my favorite. It looks like you had a great time at the Produce Auction, sounds fun. And the frozen melon balls is a great idea.

    I love the horse pic. :) Have a splendid week, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun place to visit. I did not know you could freeze these. Such a wonderful treat during these winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum. I've never heard of a grower's auction. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melon so wondrously mouthwatering ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been craving cantaloupe lately. I'll try and think to freeze some when they are in season. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely winter treat!!
    I still have never been to this auction, and really need to get there.
    Did they have a lot of variety of vegetables?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful idea to freeze your melon! I'll have to remember that for this summer. I've been enjoying herbs and pesto and tomatoes that I froze last summer, so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! Melon in January - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!