About The River

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Happy Labor Day Weekend ~ It is the Hodgepodge!

It is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge!
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.

Do you like the smell of the marigold?


 1.  Are there any men or women in blue on your family tree?

Yes, my grandpa. He was Military Police.

2. Are you someone who suffers from the Sunday night blues? What helps you get over it? 

Yes, sometimes I do have the Sunday night blues. Especially if we have enjoyed a lovely family weekend.
As my boys are growing up, Sunday nights have become TV night for us. For the past few weeks we have been watching PBS.  We just finished watching Inspector Lewis. A series on  Winston Churchill starts September 11.
More changes are coming for this mom of growing boys...I been fighting the my boys are growing up blues, something I always seem to have when school starts up again. 
Sam is in 11th grade this year!
Atticus is in 9th grade this year!

 3. I read the color blue is an appetite suppressant since there are very few naturally blue foods out there. How do you feel about blue cheese? Love it or blech? If you're a fan, what's something you like that's made with blue cheese?

I have never eaten blue cheese.

 4. We can't head in to the Labor Day weekend without a related question, can we? Complete this thought: I work best when____________________. 

After my morning coffee.

 5. 'Everything yields to diligence.' Antiphanes Your thoughts? (on this particular quote or on diligence in general)

Yes, I agree. 

 6. The National Park Service turned 100 years old on August 25th. Have you been to many of America's National Parks? If so share with us a favorite or two. Which National Park would you most like to visit before the next birthday rolls around? 

Glacier National Park is my very favorite.  

Mount Rushmore is the one I plan to visit before my December birthday. 

 7.  Bid farewell to August in seven words or less.

August is my favorite month! 

  8.  Insert your own random thought here.

 

21 comments:

  1. You finished your post with a beautiful quote! And what do you mean you've never eaten blue cheese? OH MY! You need to try some! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to read your answers. I hate bleu cheese but John loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last quote is amazing. I wish more people would remember that. Our freedom is a hard won (and constant) battle. I have great respect and admiration for those that serve. Words for August? I miss you already! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote you inserted ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you either love bleu cheese or hate it... I love it.. Yum! Love your random thought on the flag..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you either love bleu cheese or hate it... I love it.. Yum! Love your random thought on the flag..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carla. I love your random thought. I have a 9th grader and a 6th grader this school year. Still gathering curriculum and squeezing in some summer relaxation before we start :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carla - that last quote you've used - perfect!

    May you enjoy this last day of August and all good wishes for the month of September

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carla - that last quote you've used - perfect!

    May you enjoy this last day of August and all good wishes for the month of September

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quote about the flag! If you like PBS I would suggest their series Poldark when it returns. Beautiful English countryside scenery too. This is the prettiest Marigold I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your random thought. Have fun meeting your blogger buddy this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I appreciate your random thought. Also Glacier is the next National Park I want to visit. Have a great rest of the week and Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never been into coffee and sometimes I think I should have that morning routine. I forgot about Mt. Rushmore, would love to get back there someday. Love your random.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great quote. I am the same with coffee. I get the blues every school year start too. It's bittersweet. Never had blue cheese? Wow! Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I imagine being military police was a tough job. Of course, I think any military job is a tough one. No room for slackers in there. I had a bit of back to school blues this year since I did not return to teaching. I sure miss the kids and my sweet friends. :) Kids do grow up too fast, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your answers/thoughts, Carla. That last quote is perfect and I love your Sunday night ritual--family is everything.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. 9th and 11th grade? Oh my!
    Everything just works better after our morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice random quote and my drink of choice before work would be tea. In fact it's my drink of choice before anything, including leaving my bed in the morning! lol It is hard watching your kids reach milestones and knowing that a phase of their lives are over but there is always something new to look forward to. We just got ours all married off so that was quite poignant at the most recent wedding. But now I can look forward to grandchildren. But mostly I try not to wish my life away - it's important to live in the present and enjoy your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that beautiful quote. Sooooo true. Happy Labor Day Carla. Enjoy the week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your random thought! In my experience every cop who has worked the streets has many stories. I have often said that being a cop is having a front row center seat to the greatest show on earth. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed this week with all the back to school stuff! Your boys will be in 11th and 9th! How is Atticus feeling about high school? I'm sure it helps him knowing his brother will be there!!!! I love August 2, I was sad to say goodbye to it!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!