About The River

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast Casserole

My family and I are not huge fans of overnight egg bakes. When I spotted this recipe in The Country Today a weekly Wisconsin newspaper. I thought I would give an egg bake one more try. 
I am glad I did! Yummy!


Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast Casserole


 1 lb loaf sourdough or French bread
cut into chunks
 3 cups chopped apples
 8 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Combine the bread chunks and chopped apples and lay in the bottom of the dish. In a large bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients, pour evenly over the bread. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the casserole for 40 minuets.

Pull from the oven and top with Streusel. Prepare the streusel while the casserole is baking.

Streusel Topping

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1/2 cup butter cut into pieces

combine the streusel  
mix all the ingredients until it forms a crumbly mixture

after the casserole bakes for 40 minuets top with the streusel and bake for another 10 minutes

Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with warm maple syrup.

Enjoy!
 

18 comments:

  1. Carla, That sounds like a perfect fall dessert or special breakfast treat. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This sounds delicious! It would be too much for just Poppy and me, but the next time I have family coming home, I want to make this. Thank you Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make that quite often for the kids in the winter. Don't you love it? There is one with blueberries and cream cheese that is good, too. Let me know if you want that recipe. It was from Taste Of Home and I have made it at least 30 or 40 times over the years. Family favorite. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the smell was amazing!! I am not a fan of overnight dishes either. In fact, I can't remember when I made one last. But I will say they are perfect for breakfast, when you first get up and do not feel like cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sourdough bread makes the best French toast...this is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I like that everything soaks overnight because all you have to worry about is the streusel topping the next morning! :D

    I think I would use sourdough bread.....yum!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that does sound good! I like Apple Crisp recipes, so I know I would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds very tasty for a special occasion but I'm looking at all that sugar and since I've cut down on sweets, I no longer make too many sweet deserts to the chagrin of my husband. He has to have his sweets every day and buys them or his sister brings him some cookies... I have a tiny bit of sweet once in a while but I still crave pecan pie now and then but all that corn syrup is not good for diabetes. Pecan pie, now that is a sinful one.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum...streusel! I've been in the mood for French toast lately. Overnight is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I think I would like that...maybe too much! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! This is a perfect fall treat for a special breakfast. Happy Thursday.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks and sounds divine, my friend! What a perfect breakfast to enjoy on an autumn morning.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, this sounds just lovely. I am going to try and make this over the weekend!
    Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, thank you for sharing your recipe. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks good! Can you believe that I have never heard of overnight bakes??

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apple and cinnamon just go together so nicely ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to pin this! I've never made one and this looks like the perfect place to start!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!