About The River

Thursday, December 7, 2017

An Update on Marv and Advice from Centenarians

For those of you who have been reading The River for sometime, know of my 90 year old friend Marv. We met in 2012, he stopped me and asked me a question about an insurance company in our village.  From that point on, we became fast friends.
 
I have done posts about him regarding gardening, he has been my gardening mentor for the last few years. We garden together at the Community Garden.
 
Marv heads south each and every last week of October. He will call us from Texas on the days that it is -20 degrees in Wisconsin.  Tell us how he is enjoying fresh grapefruit on the beach. 
We made these grapefruit for Marv and put them in the freezer for his return to Wisconsin in late March. Snowballs!! Add a little food coloring and you have Wisconsin Grapefruit.
 
This winter Marv will be spending winter here in Wisconsin. He lost his cabin in Texas due to Hurricane Harvey. He plans to head back down to Texas the winter of 2018. Did I tell you Marv is 90! He is full adventure. I honestly think that is the key to long life. 
That brings me to the photo above of the Bear Trax. Marv brought that sweet treat to me after a drive he took.  He told me he plans to explore Wisconsin this winter, when the roads are nice and clean. He will pick a direction and explore.
 He also plans to do some research on his ancestors. 

That brings me to the Advice of Centenarians, this interview was published in a paper that I deliver monthly to my Meals on Wheels folks.
Here are a few tips that I think are right on...

Exercise Your Brain 
play cards, do word puzzles, draw, learn a new skill

(this brings me back to thinking of Marv, he is an avid photographer. He had a camera that required film. He wanted to upgrade to a new camera. He would have to learn so much about the new digital ways of the camera. He was a bit nervous at first when my husband started to teach him about the new camera, but soon he relaxed and started to play with the camera.)
Marv has taken so many amazing photos of wildlife, I always encourage him to enter the photos in a contest.

Have a Positive Attitude
see the glass as half - full
be the change you want to see in the world

Keep working after you retire
 volunteer  

(this also brings me back to Marv, he gardens each and every year. He gives most of his vegetables away to others.)


 I hope I am able to keep on like Marv is when I am 90. He is inspiration to me.
 

15 comments:

  1. I love posts about Marv. Marv is a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about Marv and all his fun ways! how wonderful that he is using this opportunity to explore Wisconsin while his new cabin is being built! I always enjoy your posts about Marv and he reminds me of an old friend we have who is 94 and still living life large! I love your Wisconsin grapefruit! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Marv is an inspiration to all. I would like to be as vibrant as he if I ever get to be 90.
    He rocks indeed.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly a gift to be like Marv when one is that old. I have a 93 year old friend, and he is the same way, even after the death of two wives. I am so sorry about his cabin! But glad to know that he will be nearby to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The man is an inspiration to all...and so are you. Thank you for sharing his story and the advice from those over the 100 mark. Somehow I think you already do all of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a very impressive man. He reminds me of my dad in some ways. Of course at 94 my dad has had to slow down. I wish Marv many more years of adventures. Love the grapefruits you have for him and that candy looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to live like Marv when I'm 90 too. He sounds like an amazing man and full of adventure. A true inspiration and sounds like an amazing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He certainly sounds an inspiration and I do truly believe it does help,you reach a healthy older age xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do remember the Wisconsin grapefruit you kept for Marv. He would be such an inspiration, and a good friend to have. I love the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marv is awesome and I am so glad you became friends. I love stories like this where two unlikely people meet by circumstance and become best of friends. What an amazing friend you have found.
    xoox
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marv in definitely an inspiring man. If he travels this way, let me know. I'll take him to lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marv is definitely an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy hearing about Marv!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your posts about Marv.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!