About The River

Monday, January 8, 2018

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree


 In December Kim at Exquisitely Unremarkable shared about her white ceramic Christmas tree.
She mentioned the green ceramic Christmas trees in her post. I shared with her about my special ceramic Christmas tree.
My little green ceramic Christmas tree is also a music box.


 My grandpa and grandma gave me this tree, when I was young. I kept it in a safe place during my years of growing up. As I moved into being an adult, it moved with me.


 My tree has special bulbs on it, birds, butterflies, flowers and the regular bulbs.


 I have lost a few of the bulbs over the years.


 Backward, turn backward, O Time in your flight; Make me a child again just for tonight.
Elizabeth Akers Allen

My tree came with Santa too.

Over the years each Christmas brings excitement of putting up our real Christmas tree. Decorating it with all our family ornaments. It is a special time to get the house all decorated.
When the boys help me put up my ceramic Christmas tree, I will share a story or two about the special relationship I had with my grandpa. My grandpa Sam and I were very close. Our first born son is named in his honor.

Then when the house is all quite at night, I will wind up the music box. I will remember special times with my family growing up. Christmas as a child, the excitement of having family come to stay with us. My cousin Kris coming to stay with my grandma and grandpa with her dog Toby.
Christmas evening dinner. All the adults are drinking Old Fashion's while us kids steal the cherries.
Opening presents! My grandma would have the presents hiding in the porch, they would be so cold when she brought them out. 
Laughing with family. Sharing stories of my parents and grandparents Christmas. Christmas hugs and the excitement that we will get to do this again next year.

Oh Ceramic Christmas Tree
Thank you for the memories
 
♫♪



17 comments:

  1. What wonderful, wonderful memories. Kind of puts a lump in my throat. I gave my daughter a 3-1/2' tall ceramic tree that belonged to her great grandmother and she loves it. You can buy those little replacement bulbs online, Carla, if you wanted to do that.

    Hope you have a wonderful, blessed week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice nostalgic post. I have made so many ceramic Christmas trees when I taught ceramics for ten years and then I have poured hundred of small, medium, large and extra large ceramic Christmas trees of every descriptions over another 10 years that I ran a ceramic manufacture business. Other teaching ceramic studios would buy the greenware from me and their students would make the Christmas trees.

    Now, the hobby ceramic industry has changed and most ceramic studios are called Clay Cafe.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading these sweet posts of yours, especially childhood memories. Have you ever thought about publishing blog posts like this in book form, like Blog2Print? I've thought about looking into that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post! I love that special little tree and the Santa, and the memories you shared. Reading those words "make me a child again just for tonight", made me look up and read again the poem, "Rock Me To Sleep". It touches my heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the pretties ceramic tree I've seen. I always loved those and wanted one. So nice that you saved those things as keepsakes from your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree is beautiful, and represents so many happy childhood memories. It is a lot more fancy then the usual ones like this. The light in these pictures is so dim, yet beautiful...just like your memories! What wonderful Christmases you had! I have known this Elizabeth Akers Allen poem since I was a child. My grandma always used to say it. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone talk about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a sweet one. We have a very similar ceramic Christmas tree. I've cut back on decorations during the past several years because our kids are grown and we don't have grandkids yet. But the ceramic tree is one of the decorations that still has a place of honor year after year. Thanks for sharing some of your happy memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carla this is such a sweet and touching memory. We would go to my grandma and grandpa's house on Christmas Eve and all the presents were out on the enclosed porch and were cold when we kids would get our gifts to open too. The adults would drink manhattans and we kids would get the cherries too. Thanks for sharing your sweet memories that triggered some sweet memories for me. Love love your special Christmas tree. Love that it has the different bulbs like birds and butterflies which is perfect for you.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely memories. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful memories. I love the photos of your ceramic Christmas Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've loved reading about your memories. And I've seen lots of these ceramic trees but never one that is a music box too. How special...just like you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful memories! I know that your boys will treasure all the memories you are making for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treasure! I love the special bulbs and the fact that it's a music box. Thanks for sharing it with us, I was looking forward to a peek at it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Carla what a lovely post, such wonderful memories most special.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your little tree that's full of memories! I also love that you continue to make and look forward to new ones with your sweet family. I'm playing catch up here! Thanks for sharing my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!