About The River

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Forcing Bulbs


 I have always wanted to try forcing bulbs. 
The best down to earth advice I found was from Floret Flowers.

In October I purchased some tulips and daffodil bulbs at Walmart.  The bulbs were inexpensive. I did not want to put a lot of money into this experiment. I had no idea if it would work.
October 31st I placed the bulbs in the refrigerator. They stayed in the refrigerator until December 1st.
While I was decorating for Christmas, I also created some forced bulb pots to set next to our South side patio door.


Valentine's week I was enjoying fresh tulips and daffodils.
 
Forcing bulbs was easy and fun. It was also a great way to garden, keep my hands in the soil, during Wisconsin winters.
Having tulips and daffodils pop up in January and bloom in February and March, gave this flower deprived girl something to create a bouquet with.


I found forcing bulbs to be a lot of fun. I plan to create more pots next winter. I will use different containers. I plan to experiment with galvanized buckets, baskets and pottery.



 

15 comments:

  1. I need to try this next winter! January and February are so gray. I love COLOR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great Carla. I think I need to try this too. How fun and pretty just when we need it most in those dark and gloomy months of winter.
    Happy Friday.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I've never tried this. I love the idea of some spring flowers inside in February!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my busy schedule, I've put off forcing bulbs. Something I've been wanting to try. Maybe this fall I'll try what you did. My problem is that I don't have much room in my fridge, lol. Before I force the bulbs, I'll have to force myself to make room. lol.
    Have a Blessed week.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would love to have fresh tulips growing in my house. What a neat trick! I might have to try that next season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to have colour.
    I love daffodils and tulips.

    Happy Friday and Happy Weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always thought about trying it, would love to have a big bowl of hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve only forced paperwhites, amaryllis and hibiscus. I’ve never really had luck with tulips or daffodils. I think I will try it, is the general rule of thumb, They need to be refrigerated for 30 days?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and flowers would sure help during those cold depressing months of January and February.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are looking...great! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful is that! So glad you got to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are some bulbs easier to force than others? I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. I've had success forcing hyacinths as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!