About The River

Monday, July 23, 2018

The Boys in the Boat

I recently read Boys in the Boat. I highly recommend this story.
Click here for the authors website


We recently spent some time in Bayfield, Wisconsin. We visited a lovely Used Book Shop. While we looked, I started up a conversation with the owner of the shop. He had on a UW Rowing T-shirt. I asked him if he rowed? He had and his family also did. I shared with him how I read Boys in the Boat this winter. After reading the book, I was fascinated with rowing. 

He told me to walk outside and look up.


George Pocock makes the rowing shells. He is a huge reason the team is successful. His words of wisdom are featured at the start of each chapter of the book.
Here in Bayfield, Wisconsin the owner of the Book Shop has a George Pocock racing shell. I was all smiles! How exciting to see something I read about so vividly.


 
My boys also read the book, so they were just as in amazement as I was. It was a fun surprise!


More about our trip to Bayfield, Wisconsin coming up.

15 comments:

  1. What a fun coincidence! That book sounds interesting and different (for me!). Glad you all enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I can imagine your excitement. That would be very interesting. Glad your sons were interested too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing coincidence! I had no idea about any of this. This is a fascinating video! These unknowns beat even the best. I guess Hitler was just a tad upset! Can't wait to see the pictures from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you story. I can imagine how exciting this must have been for the boys. I watch the short video and it was exciting to see how fast the boys were rowing.
    Enjoy the new week.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book! I was as pleasantly surprised by how much I loved it as you were stumbling across a little piece of history tied to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so interesting. Great to hear about good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a wonderful book! I read it and gave it my highest rating! Love your photos...how neat is that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, it always makes things more interesting when you know the history to them, how amazing to find that connection xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a great coincidence to come upon. That is so awesome. The book sounds like a great read.
    Happy Tuesday. Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing! What are the chances? Looks like an interesting read, too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness me!
    That's an amazing coincidence.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your book reports. I've seen this book recommended before, but with yours I'm finally going to get it and share with my Dad & Brothers. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that certainly was a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so interesting! Great that you stopped there and struck up a conversation! You just never know what you will learn.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!