About The River

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Dirt for Christmas


 Dirt for Christmas
?

That is what Sam is getting for Christmas.


 During our time at Fort Jackson I scooped up some of the dirt and placed it in a ziplock bag.
Why?
When you sit down and listen to what these young men and women go through to pass Basic Training, honestly it is amazing!
Sam shared about the ants. The Southern states have aggressive ants. When the trainees had to do push ups or other PT outside, Sam learned real quick to look for ant houses.

This dirt was where they got dirty, where they learned to defend our nation and be the best they can be. I wanted Sam to have some of that Fort Jackson dirt to have forever, to show his grandkids this is where it all started.

  I have his B-2-13 3RD PLT
"Renegades"
photo wrapped up for him along with his dirt.
 

 Graduation
 I will share the bulletin here and I will share photos of the ceremony in a future post.
 







I think Sam will get a chuckle out of the Fort Jackson Dirt.
It holds many memories for him. 

Victory Starts Here!

17 comments:

  1. You are such a smart mom to think of bringing home some dirt from Fort Jackson for Sam.
    I'm sure Sam will appreciate receiving this gift with a big smile and a hug.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think of everything! I hope he does well and all of his memories are good. I have to be careful where I stop to take a photo and make sure I'm not in an ant pile! lol Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of the men in our family served in the army. I am thankful for Sam and for all who serve and protect us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam may get a chuckle out of your gift to him but as a mom, I have tears in my eyes. I bet you did too!

    I'm so thankful for these brave young men and women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to read this post, and what a simply amazing idea Carla.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, the dirt along with the other items is so perfect! It is even bringing me to tears! I do hope you checked it for ants, though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great and very special, thoughtful gift for your young man!! I bet you can't wait to see him. I know I'm counting the days to see my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The present, the photo, the story, and more... It is all so moving. You raised and educated a fine young man, not easy today. Merry Christmas to all of you. xoox Su

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! This post made me cry! I know you are so proud of him and miss him so much! Merry Christmas to you and your family Carla! I hope it is blessed in so many ways! Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dirt idea. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun and special this will be for Sam. You are such a great mom. He is going to love what you did.
    Merry Christmas sweet friend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a neat idea, Carla! I know he will treasure it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carla, I love this idea!! And I think that coming from his gardening momma, knowing that your journey also started with dirt, it will mean even more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great gift! You must be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all in the details! I bet Same was happy to receive that. Did he love it? I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Congratulations to Sam!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!