About The River

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Let's Play Barbie.. it is the Wednesday Meldley

Photo from last Winter.. we still do not have any snow here in Northwest Wisconsin!
We have a cross country ski event we participate in every February. We have not yet been out to ski this season. We may have to take a road trip to find snow. We need to get in shape!

 


It is Wednesday! Time to join Terri for the Wednesday Medley.
She asks the questions.
We answer the questions.

 Wednesday, January 16th, is National Do Nothing Day!! National Nothing Day was proposed in 1972 by columnist Harold Pullman Coffin. This day has been observed annually since 1973. Of course, the way to celebrate it is to do nothing! 

1.  To commemorate Do Nothing Day in SOME way, tell us something about your life (or the life of someone close to you) in 1973!! 

My parents were newly married and in December 1974 they will have a baby girl. They will name her Carla.
 
 
2.  Now that we are thinking back, please tell us what your favorite past time was as a child.

My sister and I loved to play barbies.
 

3.  What is the best way to cheer you up on a bad day? 
Take me for a long walk.. get me outside in the garden.. anything outside will usually do the trick. A good joke helps as well.
 
 
4.  How old were you when you first started dating? Do you remember your first date?
 I was 18.
I do remember my first date. 
 
 5.  Today is also National Fig Newton day.  Do you like figs/Fig Newtons?
I do! 
I like both!
 
 6.  Tell us something random about your week.
I deliver Meals on Wheels part time. 2019 will be my three year anniversary of delivering meals. One of my deliveries is to a sweet lady, who had a birthday Sunday, she turned 94! She still lives alone, cares for herself and continues to challenge herself to learn new things. I absolutely love her laugh. I try to make her laugh each time I deliver to her, not just to make her smile, but so I can hear her laugh.
 
 
 

18 comments:

  1. I love that song from the film! I have a feeling you'll be getting some snow soon. I think we are too! I bet your Meals On Wheels lady loves you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that today is a do nothing day, but I wish I had known about it yesterday. lol
    I hope that you'll get your snow soon. We have lots here but I don't ski.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are so dedicated to Meals on Wheels...what a great cause! I also played barbies for hours and also played outside for hours on end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Barbies. I played with them for hours, making them clothes with scraps of fabric and taking them swimming in the pool with me. I imagine you had a great time with your sister. Little brothers are not very fond of Barbies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, thanks for your visit and kind comment. You asked if I liked it in Germany. It was quite an adventure for me a 21 year old in 1972....to fly that far alone hoping my husband could find me in Frankfurt, no cell phone, in fact I didn’t see a phone or a tv for that whole year. We made cassette taped messages and sent them back and forth home in the mail to communicate with family. I loved Germany.. so safe feeling. Even at night in the cities. Beautiful antiquities. I fell in love with all things medieval. We have so many wonderful memories we hope to do a Rhine River cruise this year. We actually crossed the Rhine River every Wednesday evening to go to the laundromat at another kaserne in Worms. Life there was sort of like stepping back in time. We had to build afire in a grate in our water heater to get enough hot water to bathe at night. During the day I heated water in a pot on the stove. Anyway, blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a youngster! I loved Barbies, too!!! I spent more time decorating her townhouse than actually playing, though....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cartoon for the meals on wheels but that's a great service to be involved with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meals On Wheels is such a good thing! And something most of us can do. I do believe you are the light of this lady's life!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that song and loved Barbies! Sadly, here in Texas, we do not have snow either! ;-) Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your answers!! I had a Barbie when they first came out and really learned a lot of my sewing skills making clothes for her. I love that you do the Meals On Wheels. What a wonderful thing to do! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! You have a delightful place here and I am happily following along with you. :-)
    Meals on Wheels is such a great help for people and a joy to those who deliver the meals. I delivered meals years ago in Canada when we lived there, so these meals are in another country as well.
    Your little 94 year old lady must look forward to your visits.
    Fig Newtons ~ I had to laugh, because as I was reading your post I was enjoying a cup of tea and two Fig Newtons! What are the odds of that?!

    Have a beautiful day~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also loved playing Barbies as a child!
    So cool you deliver Meals on Wheels! That lady sounds amazing! You will probably remember her the rest of your life! I loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend who also delivers meals on wheels. Such a life-saver for so many seniors! Thank you for your service!! And thank you for joining in the Medley today!! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so fun to read. Gosh how I loved my barbies too. My brothers had GI Joes so they were always Barbie and Midge's boyfriends lol ! I am so happy you have such wonderful peeps on your route for Meals on Wheels. This lady sounds so sweet. What she gives back to you too is amazing.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your answer to #1, Carla!! And so cool that this is your third anniversary with MOW! I also love to hear people laugh. So great that at 94 she can still do all those things. If I don't get some exercise pretty soon, I won't be able to do anything! My answer is to get a good walk or hike in. But when it's 12° and windy, it's no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your stories about Meals on Wheels. You meet so many wonderful people :) And you bring so much joy to them!
    You just gave me a memory of my sister and I playing barbies at my grandparents.... Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so nice that you do Meals on Wheels, and that she has become a friend! I also played with Barbies, but all I did was make them a house and then I would quit. My sisters would always get me to make something from stuff that gets thrown away. Sort of funny that I still like decorating. xo Su

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's so lovely that you do Meals on Wheels, that's just so good :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!