About The River

Friday, May 24, 2019

Be Safe, Love Mom


"I died during the battle, Mom." I went to save two other buddies and got shot going across to help them. I was hit in the leg. My battle buddies tried to save me, but they goofed up the call for the Medi Vac."

The above was the conversation I had with Sam after he completed The Forge. 

Click below to learn more about The Forge.

I have learned a lot about becoming a Military Mom. 
We learn to let go.
10 weeks of no communication .. but snail mail. Oh how I loved that snail mail.
We did not hear from Sam for the first two and half weeks. I will say that was hard. I had no way of knowing how he was doing, if he was making friends, if he was succeeding. 
During The Forge I really felt it. I wanted to know how he was doing. I had this urgency to go help him. It all can be hard to explain, all this emotion was coming up inside me.
Again.. more letting go.. little by little.


Quiet courage and fierce determination to help those who need it. That is what I see in our son Sam. I am so very proud of what he has accomplished and what he is going to do in the future.

At the same time I will be honest. I worry.
In my previous post I shared that Sam would be deployed to help with floods, wildfires and hurricanes. His recruiter gently reminded us that he can be called up for battle as well. 


I pray for peace. That our world will get along and not feel the need to kill each other. 

I think about my grandpa Sam and the Greatest Generation.
I think about my dear friend Marv who helped in the Korean War.
I think about our family friends who helped in Vietnam. 
I think about our neighbor Pat who helped in the Gulf War.
Those who we sent care packages during the War on Terror, Cathy, Brendon and Gabe.

When I get anxious I continue to look up: to the stars, the sun and the moon. I tend my garden. I pull weeds, look for bees, butterflies and listen close to the birds. I look up in the tree tops, I watch the leaves wave in the wind and I look to the heavens.

Be Safe Sam!
Love, Mom


All gave some
Some gave all
Remember them this Memorial Day!

9 comments:

  1. You have raised such a wonderful son! Yet I cannot imagine how hard this is for you. Never knowing, not being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mom never stop worrying about their children. Yes we have to let go but it's never easy.
    I always worry about my children, no matter how old they are. And it can happen, that one day you get the news you don't want to hear but you have to let go because there's nothing you can do to change things.

    Let hope that you are worrying about nothing. Hang in there. It doesn't get any easier.
    Love & hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave sweet friend and are learning to let go and trust. With that said being a mom and knowing your child could be in harms way has to be heart wrenching and scary. I hope as I see my little grand girls grow that they will live in a world with peace as they grow to carve out their adult lives. You have raised a brave and wonderful son and he is doing well on his life journey. I know you support his life decision and are so proud of him. It takes a really special person to be in service in the world we live. It is his calling and I pray he will continue along with his fellow service friends to be safe and not have to see war. This Memorial day it is good that we all take a few minutes and pray for those that have given their lives to keep us safe and free and to remember how important and brave our service men and women are to have chosen this path in life.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful well written post. My heart is holding you inside of it and I will continue to pray for Sam and our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words. This should be published. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful post … my thoughts and good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just as strong as your son is. A lovely post, and yes I think all us mums pray for peace, where ever we live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you big hugs...it's not easy...

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!