About The River

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Making August Memories

 Last week was a week full of  garden activities. 
The Twilight Garden Tour is the North Country Master Gardeners BIG event. 
The above photo is my friend Carol kicking off the event.
We had the following line up for the event..


We will have speakers from University of Wisconsin including Brian Hudelson (Director of the UW-Madison Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic), Brian Smith (UW-River Falls Professor of Horticulture), and P.J. Liesch (Director of the UW-Madison Insect Diagnostic Lab) speaking about plant diseases, insects, and vegetable gardening.  There will also be displays and demonstrations including how to create a Monarch Waystation, getting your garden soil tested, wine tasting, and vegetable tastings.  The Spooner Garden Club, Barron County Master Gardener Volunteers, Cooperative Weed Management, Friends of the Namekagon Barrens Wildlife Area, Hunt Hill Audubon Sanctuary, and our Kids in the Garden program will be among the organizations and programs represented.   




 The above photo is my partner in crime with putting on the Herb Demonstration. We had herb salts, herb sugar and herb infused water to try. 
I started some basil plants around July 4th and made up little pots of them to give away.
That is me in the below photo. 
It was a great evening, we had great weather and a fantastic turn out, the last I heard we were at 280 people! My garden group is a fun bunch of people. Not everything is perfect but we all work together to make it the best event we can. We were so pleased with how things went this season.

I enjoyed attending a Garden Tea last week as well. The month of August is time to show off our gardens, as everything is growing strong and many plants are blooming. And we have lots of fresh goodness to eat.
The presentation was on Herbs of the 18th Century, it was very interesting.

 My boys enjoyed a camp trip to my favorite lake, Lake Superior.
They sent me a photo of the view they had out the tent door.


 Sam brought me back some treasure, my favorite kind, beach glass and special rocks from the shores of my favorite lake.

  I found this acorn on my morning walk.. Autumn is whispering "Hello"



 This little guy was floating in the whiskey barrel pond with my fish.


"Summer was our best season: It was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the treehouse; summer was everything good to eat..."
 Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird 


13 comments:

  1. You are having fun and adventures. I love that Sam brought you sea glass and rocks...that is pure love. I want to tell you a rock story from long ago...my daughter Kathy , at age 4 , would pick up rocks and bring them into the house like she was collecting. One day I saw a handful of gravel on the console TV. I said, "Kathy are these your old rocks?" She said, 'NO MOM, Them is my new ones." LOL I still laugh about that and she still collects rocks from any lake or sea shore. :):) Just like you. Blessings sweet Carla, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful bunch of summer memories. The Garden Tea looked so nice, I almost felt like I was there! What a view from the boys' tent and those beach treasures! I loved that quote from To Kill a Mockingbird. Summer's bounty is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such a good turn out...I know it's a lot of hard work! Love that list of all the herbs and what they are good for. I just made a couple of arrangements of sunflowers...fake, I'm sorry to report! heehee! If you were close by, I would have more fresh flowers, wouldn't I? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories, Carla! Wish I could get my basil to stay alive, let alone grow new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely event. So nice that you have such a wonderful hobby that brings you so much joy. I love the photo of Lake Superior and the treasures they brought home. Love the sunflowers, they make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww that Sam thought of you with these lovely gifts from the beach. He's a keeper. The Garden Tee looked like lots of fun. Such great August memories for you. Happy Tuesday sweet friend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so beautiful, even the jars with the spices. I have wanted to try flavored salt for a long time. I know everyone would have loved the basil, it is so easy to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post Carla, I enjoyed all of your photographs, and that looks such a lovely event, if I lived nearby I'd come! Fascinating about the herbs of the 18th Century :)

    What a fabulous view the boys had out of the tent door...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sunflowers...my happyflower. How fun to belong to a garden club. Loved reading the old herb list. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Busy, busy, busy! Herb sugar: Now that sounds tasty. Sounds like both you and your kids are having a wonderful summer. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh lovely! Was that at the place in Spooner? Looks like a lot of fun. I never got around to planting basil this year, so I wish I could have purchased one of your seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carla, I love your photos! What a wonderful time! So much fun! The herb sugar sounds like it is delicious! Share the recipe please ma'am! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. August was a great month for you! I am so glad your event was a success!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!