About The River

Monday, August 5, 2019

Minneapolis Institute of Art .. part 1

 Minneapolis Institute of Art
 We enjoyed a full day visiting the Minneapolis Institute of Art.
If traveling to Minneapolis we recommend a visit to the museum. It is well done. 

 



 I am sharing a few of the works that I enjoyed. I will say a few, because I loved so many of the works that are on display, it was hard to decide what to share on The River. 
Let us get started..

Fra Angelica
My son Atticus studied Fra Angelico his 10th grade year in art class.  
It was fun to see his work on display.



 I was not able to capture the tear in this young ladies eye, but in person this work is very moving. It tells the story of Lucretia. She is the wife of a Roman nobleman, Lucretia was known for her loyalty and virtue. She was raped by Sextus Tarquinius, the son of the ruling tyrant. Lucretia revealed the crime to her husband and father, and in their presence, took her own life. She chose death in order to prevent dishonor, at a time and place when a woman's perceived virtue was more valuable than her life.


 I love the storm in this work.



 Vincent van Gogh
 


to be continued..

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your trip! I love that Van Gogh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to art museums, so this is just my cup of tea. The story of Lucretia is heartbreaking. I recognized Van Gogh right away, this one is beautiful. Even the building is a work of art. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how I can almost instantly tell a Van Gogh painting. I love museums and I'm thinking Mark and I need to visit some of our Los Angeles museums. I haven't been since the kids were in school and really didn't get to appreciate them to the fullest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite amazing to see art you read about in person isn't it. The tiny details that photographs can't catch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing treasures and works of art. Thanks for sharing this with us. Happy New Week Carla.
    Enjoy.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the beautiful works of art. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been to a museum for quite a while. We used to go to museums so often and living a busy life every day has changed all that.
    Enjoy the rest of the summer. It's going fast.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting trip! Thanks for sharing some of the highlights so I can experience it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, they have some very impressive pieces on hand. The Selling Fish piece reminds me of a scene from the old movie Wuthering Heights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post, so many lovely pieces of art to enjoy! Looking forward to more! Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. The painting of Lucretia is so moving. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to make a trip over there myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like quite an interesting art Museum. That's pretty neat that your son was able to see the works of whom he learned about in school, that makes everything come alive even more so doesn't it?

    Thank you for sharing this with us~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Love that mask in the first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like that Van Gogh.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!