About The River

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Eek Spiders .... It is the Hodgepodge

Como Conservatory, St.Paul, Minnesota
Welcome to Wednesday and Wednesday brings us the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.





1. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'  What's something you've seen recently that you thought was beautiful?
 
 
We visited Como Conservatory the 1st of March. I loved walking the gardens. I thought the way that Saint Francis of Assisi looked in this lovely garden was beautiful.

  2. Our culture and beauty...your thoughts?

My thoughts about our culture and beauty = a mess.

 
3. Age before beauty, beauty queen, beauty mark, beauty sleep...which beauty-ful phrase resonates with you today? Why?

Beauty sleep. 
I have learned that I need my sleep and there is no reason to not be good to myself and go to bed at a time that works for me. I have less headaches and feel so much better with a good sleep.

4. I read here a list of the top ten beasts animals that scare us the most-

alligators, coyotes, black bears, birds (but pigeons in particular), sharks, bats, bed bugs, rats, rattlesnakes, and the black widow spider.

Which 'beast' on the list scares you the most? The black widow spider. What is the liklihood of you having an actual encounter with that particular beast? They do live in Wisconsin. I know they like dark areas. My grandpa saw one in an outhouse. Did a movie contribute to your fear of this creature? The movie Arachnophobia did not help. I really have no idea why I watched it. I already was scared of spiders, why on earth watch a movie to make you more scared. Really, Silly Me!
 Have you ever had a real life encounter with any of the animals listed?
Bats
Coyotes
Black Bears 
 
I grew up with bats. We lived in old farm house. I have many stories about bats flying in our room on a summer night. My sister and I both screaming "Dad!"

Black Bears, well, thankfully, my dad taught my sister and I early in our childhood to watch for bear. My parents farm is located in between Price County forest land and State of Wisconsin forest land. Every Spring a hungry bear, who is just waking up will amble out on to the pasture.

Coyotes also are frequent visitors to the farm.  Sadly, a few of my lambs were killed by coyotes.
 
  
Itsy Bitsy Spider

5. Where were you when you last heard a bell ring? Was it alarming or musical?

The Catholic Church in our little Village of Cameron has bells ring at 6pm every night.
It is musical. I love hearing them each evening.

6. What's your favorite carb? How's that for random?

 Bread


7. Let's wrap up another month of Hodgepodging and life with an acrostic. Recap your month using the word MARCH.

Melting, snow melting.
       Air, the smell of fresh Spring air.  
 Roadtrip,  we took a roadtrip to St. Paul,  Minnesota.
Catalog, looking over seed catalogs and placing my order.
Hour, we lost a hour when we switched to Day Light Savings, and I complained. 

 8.  Insert your own random thought here. 


 I liked the message on the box of the thin mints.

 

21 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your hodge podge today. I agree you should take care of yourself and get your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate bats. I know they are not bad but they come out here at dusk and if I stand outside, they dive at my head! hahaha! And if they get tangled up in my hair, I'll go crazy. hahaha! I must be feeling better...I sure am laughing a lot. Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek!I don't like big spiders either!! Another great hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting a conservatory, I need to find one to visit soon. Several of us said Beauty Sleep! Bread is a great carb choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers on your hodgepodge. I'm not afraid of big orb spider and we have many in our barn but I'm afraid of those black jumping spiders. They have yellow stripes on their back and they move very quickly. I need more sleep too.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like to read these hodgepodge answers. Everyone is so different and yet so alike in many ways when it comes to their answers. I do NOT like spiders either...nor do I like snakes, rats, bats, etc. Give me a bunny and a cat and I am a happy camper. lol

    I have several BAT stories, too, and my son used to walk in and say (to the grandkids) Is the old bat here? lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have arachnophobia, too! Really bad! Ever since I was a little kid. So did my mom. At least bears and coyotes don't come into your house and bedroom! I adore bread! You grew up around animals, how wonderful.I love your gorgeous first two pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just hear that church bell ring and it's lovely. There are times we can hear the church bells ringing downtown Charleston but they have to all ring at the same time and you have to listen hard. Spiders don't bother me unless they get on me. Then I have a serious problem. LOL Enjoyed your answers! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate spiders and I love bread! And Girl Scout cookies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it sounds like your parents don't have to worry about new neighbors moving in. I don't mind spiders, but I have a lot of experience with bats. When Angela was junior high age, she was the one who would capture the bat(s) and put them back outdoors. She had absolutely no fear of them. We enjoyed the Como Conservatory too, and I haven't had Girl Scout cookies for a long time, but Thin Mints were always my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is a lot of wildlife nearby. I don't like spiders either although there are many other creatures that gross me out more. I love Thin Mints but haven't had any this year so far. Bread is by far the best carb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have the brown recluse spider here and I believe I was bitten by it in the night last year. I had to get on antibiotics. My finger swelled up really bad. We have not heard the coyotes here lately, but now have foxes. I heard foxes and coyotes do not share the same space, so I would like for the foxes to stay.Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thin mints ... love them! I picked beauty sleep also ... seems like many of us did. Enjoyed reading all of your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just your picture of the Itsy Bitsy Spider gave me the willies! When we get the "big" garden spiders around, Cliff has to hold my hand to help me get past them. He will not allow me to harm them for all the good they do. Doesn't mean I like them though!
    I love the message on the Girl Scout Cookie box! I guess our box wasn't around long enough for me to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carla, Always fun to read your answers to the Hodgepodge. I wish each of you a nice spring weekend. Take care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every time I read your hodgepodge I think.... I should do this too and then I forget LOL Besides, you always have the best answers :)

    I hate black widows and I watched arachnophobia too.... what were we thinking?! lol

    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually really enjoy hearing the stories of you and your sister on your farm growing up. You should blog more about those! I can just imagine two sisters scared of the bat visitors!!!! Oh and I'm with you on that favorite carb my friend!!! Without question, bread is one of the joys of life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carla, I always enjoy reading the Hodgepodge answers. I hate spiders, especially the brown recluse which is seen around my area. And I'm with you on carbs...bread is my fav! Love it, although the doctor told me I should stay away from the white. Good thing I like wheat bread, but white is my favorite.
    Have a nice weekend! xo Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't like spiders either! Laughed at your story of you and your sister! Our biggest animal here that we look out for is moose, simply because they are so unpredictable. I don't care for the time change either. I'm looking at seeds as well. It feels like spring here today, sunny and the mud is drying up, yeah! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The scent of freshly baked bread signals my downfall every single time :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had any Girl Scout cookies this year. I haven't seen any for sale nearby, which I suppose is not a bad thing : ) Hope your gardening classes are going well!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!