About The River

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Time to Hit the Beach Hodgepodge



It is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Join in on the fun! Joyce asks the questions, we answer the questions.


1. The first day of summer rolls in later this week. What are ten things you'd put on your list of  quintessential summer activities? Will you try to manage all ten this summer?

1. Time at the beach!  
Yep, we have a camp trip planned on the Southern Shores of Lake Superior in July.
2. Enjoying a bon fire.
Have done that and will have a few more.
3. Eating S'Mores while enjoying the bon fire.
Yep, did and will do again. 
4. Canoeing!
We have plans to enjoy a day paddling a new lake.
5. Catching Fireflies!
I use to do this every summer with my sister and cousin. I ask the boys to help me catch them now. It always ends in laughter and mosquito bites. The fireflies are out at the same time the mosquito are out.
6. Picnics
We already had a few of these and have some more on the calendar.
7. BLT's
This will happen in August for me, a fresh BLT with lettuce and tomato from our garden.
8. Berry picking.
Each summer I take the boys strawberry picking. That time is coming up.
9. Moon Walks.
Our family was treated to a special night with Judy and Mr. C of  Cranberry Morning.
We played croquet, enjoyed a lovely meal sitting on the porch and ended the evening taking a moon walk during the full Strawberry Moon.
10. Family Time!!
YES, I will be sure to get some of that in too!

  2. Do you collect seashells when you're at the beach? What do you do with them once you get them home? What's your favorite place to comb for seashells? How many of these 'best beaches for hunting seashells' have you visited? Which one would you most like to visit?

Calvert Cliffs State Park (Maryland), Jeffrey's Bay (South Africa), Sanibel Island (Florida), Shipwreck Beach (Lanai Hawaii), Ocracoke Island (North Carolina), Galveston Island (Texas) and The Bahamas

I do collect sea shells. I put my small shells in a jar. I have a few large shells that I have with my summer decor. When we enjoy the beaches of Lake Superior, we usually look for agates, sea glass and unique drift wood.
I have not visited any of the beaches on the list. 
My friend Marv loves the beaches of Texas. I have family that live in Texas. I will pick Galveston Island as the first to visit.

 3. At a snail's pace, shell out money, come out of your shell, go back into your shell, drop a bombshell, happy as a clam, clam up...which 'shell' phrase could most recently be applied to some event or circumstance in your life? Explain.

Happy as a Clam
School is out! 
Our claim for the damage done to our home during the May 16th storm is all settled. 
My boys are enjoying the days of summer and working part time.
My dad continues to heal after his April 11th heart attack.


4. What summer activity do you dislike? Why?

  I can not think of an activity. Instead, STORMS continue to pop into my mind. Summer brings heat and humidity to Wisconsin. We can have awful storms. 
I dislike when the storm siren is blaring and the sky is angry.

 5. What's something you see as quickly becoming obsolete? Does that bother you?

Discernment
It means “to distinguish, to separate out by diligent search, to examine."
Yes, it bothers me.  

6. Insert your own random thought here. 


Pacific Ocean
Torrey Pines State Park
California

I vote for this to be a must see!
Our family loved Torrey Pines.
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Love your list! John and I always enjoyed picking blueberries at the home of a co-worker. I made a lemon/blueberry bread that was so good. As for Torrey Pines, that is where John and my brother visited on their "bucket trip" a few years back. My brother actually paraglided off the cliff there! Wishing you and yours a delightful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that last beach photo is amazing!! How I'd love to walk barefoot along the warm beach. Ahhhh. Loved the full moon walk. Isn't summertime wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great Hodgepodge answers! Croquet and homemade ice cream were an afterthought to me when I read Jo's list and I see croquet on your list. Great fun in the summertime. I had no idea about storms in Wisconsin. I thought that was a Midwest thing that then came on down through our area. Discernment. Very good. You're so right. Beautiful beach picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is one busy summer your going to have! Glad to hear that you are happy as a clam and that is good news on your dad. We lived near Torrey Pines for about 9 months. It is a beautiful place and the pizza is good at The Spot in LaJolla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a wonderful summer planned! The beach photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Torrey PInes too! This is another great hodgepodge of yours and it gets me excited about summer and its fun activities! I noticed a lot of fireflies last night (and a lot of mosquitos). I saw a cute fox too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carla. I've missed the hodgepodge and reading your posts. Glad your dad is healing well. We are still finishing up school but I am so ready for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot about BLTs!
    Agreed, our world could use more discernment.
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The water in your beach pictures is bluer than blue. You have so much fun things planned, it should be an awesome summer! And today is the first day of summer, too. I have a shell collection, but not from walking on the beach. I never would have guessed there are so many shell sayings!! Time for us to go to the peach orchard and pick peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you're packing a lot of fun in your summer. I remember the relief when school was out for the summer, it meant a little less stress in the morning getting ready for school and free evenings without homework.
    Enjoy your first day of Summer.
    Smiles & hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those beach photographs are amazing, what a lovely blue sky and the water looks so inviting ...
    Happy First Day of Summer

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh summer how I miss you. Only 6 months to go till mine. I collect shells ans have a large jar I keep them in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your summer plans sounds so fun! It sounds like you've already done a lot on your bucket list :-) We are FINALLY out of school and heading to the beach today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhhhhh yeah summer and yeah beaches anywhere! Happy beginnings to the summer months.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to Torrey Pines, and it is, indeed, a beautiful spot. I've also been to Ocracoke Island -- my late husband and I took a driving trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and saw all the islands. It was a wonderful, wonderful time and I'd go back there in a heartbeat. Been to Galveston Island, too, as a young girl. I love fireflies, but we don't get them here. As I understand it they aren't found west of the Rockies. Sad. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you know how I feel about the beach and even though I see the ocean all year long, there is something infinitely more special about it in summer. Shells, sand, sea life, warm salt water and swimming...happy as a clam indeed. Funny you mention discernment. I was having this exact conversation with my children the other day. I told them they really need to consider the source of what they see and hear, to think critically about the information they receive...no matter what it is about...politics, people they know, information they hear in the classes, news, health. I see that behavior waning as well...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Torrey Pines State Park looks beautiful!
    I agree with you on storms. We have had some thunder lightning today that has had me and the dogs jumps straight up in the air. Thankfully, all noise and no damage.
    Glad to read the positive update on your dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have some nice beach photo's. You mentioned going to Lake Superior. I think I read somewhere that Superior is so large that it actually has tides. Is that true? I hope that you have a wonderful Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great answer to #5. So true! I'm visiting my mom right now, and we had quite the storm last night. It woke me up rattling the window panes over my head. All is calm and bright today though. Enjoy your wonderful summer plans!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant thoughts indeed and lovely photos too. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you are having a busy and very fun-filled summer! How wonderful to meet with another blogger and enjoy such a special evening together! I've never been to CA, but the beaches there look wonderful, especially the one you shared. I continue to pray for your dad's healing! So glad that the claim on your home has been finalized, hope it all gets fixed satisfactorily! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!