About The River

Monday, February 1, 2016

Wisconsin Grapefruit


Wisconsin grapefruit, oh yes. Easy to grow, all you need is snow.


 If you are new to The River, you may not know the story of my friend Marv. 
Marv is 86 years old. He is a Master Gardner and he has been mentoring  me in gardening for the last three years. He is a prankster as well. 
This summer he placed a plastic orange in my son's tomato plant, a huge plastic fly and many other shenanigans.


Marv winters down in Texas on the Gulf Coast. He likes to call us and let us know he is having lunch on the beach. He had to turn his fan on because it got to 80 °. He always calls on days that we are experiencing a day of negative temperatures. Oh yes, he loves to rub it in.

During our last snow storm, my boys had a wonderful idea.
Marv loves Texas grapefruit. That is another thing he likes to tell us all about. How he is eating fresh grapefruit.  
"Mom, how about we make Marv some Wisconsin Grapefruit!" 
What a great idea!
The Wisconsin grapefruit will be waiting for him in our freezer when he comes back to Wisconsin in April.


Recipe for Fresh Wisconsin Grapefruit

Snow
Make the snow into a grapefruit size snowball
Use food coloring to color your grapefruit
Freeze for your buddy who winters in Texas. You would not want him to miss out on Wisconsin winters

As I type up this post, our neck of Wisconsin is under a Snow Storm Warning.
Yippee!
More Wisconsin Grapefruit coming right up! 

24 comments:

  1. I am sure Marv will get quite the kick out of the grapefruit. And yes.... many more grapefruit to be made with this forecast! It looks like you are going to get more snow that we are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like a fun guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea that your boys had! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Your sons had a great idea! I'm sure Marv will have a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hysterical Carla! I bet Marv will LOVE this when he returns - if you can resist gobbling it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Marv stories!!! He is going to FLIP over this Wisconsin grapefruit!! So much fun! It's great that boys get in on the pranking too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny! What a good idea your boys had! I would never have guessed that was snow in the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too funny. I bet the boys love to do this prank on your neighbour friend.
    Happy Groundhog Day and Happy Leap Year.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marv is a trip! (I'd like to be wintering on the gulf coast.) Bet he'd enjoy some Wisconsin grapefruit on the beach. ;) Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're giving it to Marv, I must say I was pretty curious about Wi grapefruit. It's been snowing here all afternoon, altho, here, on the lakeshore, we're not supposed to get as much as north central WI. Roads are slippery....I'm stayin' in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just really "looked" at your tagline for the first time - why did I not notice it before? LOVE IT!! Ever changing...yet the same!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He sounds like a lot of fun.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol! thats great. and what a fun friend Marv must be! I have to admit that at first glance I thought that was a real peeled grapefruit!
    have a great week
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol! thats great. and what a fun friend Marv must be! I have to admit that at first glance I thought that was a real peeled grapefruit!
    have a great week
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Marv is a wild and crazy guy! He'll love the Wisconsin grapefruit, no doubt! And as for the snow, we're sure getting it. We've feed the birds 3 times already today. In a few minutes the seed is all covered with snow. As for the Yippee, you're a sick woman, Carla. Sick, sick, sick! ;-))) But i did think of you and what wonderful snow it is for ski lovers. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Marv is a wild and crazy guy! He'll love the Wisconsin grapefruit, no doubt! And as for the snow, we're sure getting it. We've feed the birds 3 times already today. In a few minutes the seed is all covered with snow. As for the Yippee, you're a sick woman, Carla. Sick, sick, sick! ;-))) But i did think of you and what wonderful snow it is for ski lovers. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a fantastic prank to play on Marv. I am sure he will get a laugh over it! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. How funny is that! you need to flavor it with a drop of lemon juice! haha! Have FUN! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! Everyone needs a friend like Marv to inject a little fun and frivolity into their lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is HILARIOUS! I'm sure Marv will love it :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love these good old-fashioned pranks! Your Wisconsin grapefruit is an incredible idea! I have a good feeling that one I could probably find an Idaho grapefruit around here too... lol! Hope you are surviving the winter storm, and enjoying it, and I look forward to hearing about Marv's reaction when he sees his "grapefruit", lol! He sounds like a precious friend to have, and a delight to have as a neighbor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that....so much fun to a prankster sometimes!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!