About The River

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Hello Spring ~ It is the Hodgepodge

Oh, how I wish they would help me with Spring Cleaning!
 
 
Welcome to the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.
 





1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?


My text book.

I am currently in school.
I am taking the Master Gardener course. 
It adds a little madness because we already have the boys busy with school, extra activities, work and of course just keeping house.

In the madness, everyone helps make the days run smooth. I love that about our family. I am so thankful for it. My oldest son saying "Hey, mom, I can stop after work and pick up a few groceries."

My boys reaction when they first saw the size of it! "WOW, mom! You can do this!"

2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

My grandpa loved to make up words.
When asking for the afghan my mom crochet for him, he would say "Please cover me with my Afghanistan." He made up other fun words and sayings too. It was always a fun time to hang out with my grandpa.

 3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-

clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets

Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?

Yes, we usually do spring cleaning. 
After a long Wisconsin winter, it is nice to open the windows and let the fresh air in.

Yes, we will wipe down our ceiling fans.
We really should tackle the windows.

 4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?


You've Got Mail
It makes me want to live in New York City! I love, love, love Kathleen Kelly's apartment.

 5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

 My garden seed orders are arriving. Each day this week I have gotten some in the mail.
I will have some exciting news to share regarding my Little Garden That Could in the next month.


6. Did you ever want to be a teacher? Why or why not?

 I did. 
I have a fun memory being a teacher.
As many of you know, I grew up on a dairy farm. 
When my sister and I were younger, we would play in the feed room. My parents had gotten two chalk boards and hung them in the feed room so we could play school.
My sister and I would drag bring the farm cats into the feed room. We would sit them on the feed sacks and teach them how to not get run over by the milk truck, tractors and such. 
We spent most of the milking time chasing the cats to get them to come back to class. 

I wonder now, maybe they did not like the subject.

My sister also played school, I was the teacher. Me, being the older sister, I of course bossed her as the teacher. It never lasted long, I was back to teaching the cats.

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume? How do you feel about florals in food? How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay?
 
I love, love flowers.
I am going to say lilacs are my very favorite scent. Then when the lily of valley bloom, I will say lily of the valley. Then when the peony bloom, I will say peony. 

I had a violet on top of a cupcake, but I did not eat it.

I am not sure about the wine.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Baseball season is just about here. I am counting down the days.
I have the Brewers schedule on my fridge. I mark the wins and losses. 
I am excited to see what the Cubs do this year. 
I am a Milwaukee Brewer fan, but I can not help myself to like the Cubs too.
A fun team and a great World Series story. 


19 comments:

  1. Such a fun hodgepodge!! I'm sure you're doing great at school and flexing the old "school" muscles is good for you. It's so nice how your whole family is helping out!! Love your playing school story from your childhood. I would have loved to go to your school! I'm excited about spring, now if the snow would all just melt please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar favorite flowers! They just make me happy! I'm so looking forward to spring cleaning and getting those windows open, hoping spring arrives here in New England sooner rather than later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have fun with the hodgepodge. I love that movie and maybe we'll watch it tonight. We've started watched some of our old favs at night to relax. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read your hodgepodge and I feel the same way about my favorite flowers.
    You're a very busy lady with balancing all this activity.
    This year I'm not as anxious to start my plants from seeds as I always plant too many silly me and I'm getting older and slower but I bought a package of Gerbera Daisy and they need to be started 12 weeks before the last frost free date.
    I have to see that movie.
    Take care, hugs
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla,

    Oh, I love Kathleen Kelly's apartment too!

    ~Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me laughing out loud, Carla, when picturing you trying to get your feline students to get back to the classroom! LOL Love the Disney poster. Isn't that true! Haha. You've raised those kids right, that's for sure. What nice young men they are! I love what you wrote about flowers. I think I feel that way too, except that although I LOVE daffodils, their scent isn't the best. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading everybody else's answers jar my memories. We played school too, and I guess when you're the oldest you get to be the teacher and the boss and then the siblings get tired of it. Our daughter Sara always got to be the teacher, and our son had to be the dog. He got tired of that, of course. It would have been crazy trying to teach the cats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandpa must have been an awesome person!! And your stories of the feed room are delightful, and so funny! I enjoyed reading about it immensely. The wonder is that the cats ever sat still at all! You were such a kindhearted child, to try to keep the cats safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Kathleen Kelly's adorable bookshop! I hope you're enjoying the classes. It's pays to be the oldest. I know my sister was my pupil when we played school, and probably not by choice : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great that your family all works together to do what needs to be done! That's exciting about all your seeds arriving in the mail. Cute about your grandpa's name for afghan...my girlfriend called them Africans when she was young. Hope you guys have a wonderful evening. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your grandpas made up word! I loved this time of the year picking out seeds, but my yard is too small now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy reading your Hodgepodge posts, Carla. So much fun! And You've Got Mail? Love that apartment and her shop. That's the kind of little store I would own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your post. Good luck with the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I enjoyed your response to favorite scent! That happens with me, too. I also enjoyed the Snow White reference at the beginning. Wouldn't that be nice if woodland animals would help us with the housework? Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you for taking a gardening class! Love how your boys are so encouraging to you. I agree Kathleen Kelly has a gorgeous Brownstone. I think that would be the perfect place to live in the city :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a fun read, Carla! You have certainly raised your family right and they are so thoughtful. I wish I could get my kitties to help with the housework instead of creating more work for me! lol! xo Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carla, I just love your hodgepodges. I always learn something new about you :)

    Love You've Got Mail too, as you probably know ;)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hodgepodge is always awesome! Looks like you are off and running with the Master Gardener class, that is exciting! I will look forward to your opinion on the class when you are done. How sweet that your boys are helping you out while you are doing it. Very exciting to get your seeds in! I may try to start planting seeds in the greenhouse in the next couple of weeks to see how they do. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know if it because I also grew up on the dairy farm with a younger sister, but your feed room story gave me such a chuckle. I could just imagine my sister and I trying the same, if only we had cats back then!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!