About The River

Friday, May 26, 2017

Thank You

Thank You


 

In Flanders Fields

"In Flanders Fields" is a war poem in the form of a rondeau, written during the First World War by Canadian physician and Lt. Col. John McCrae. He was inspired to write it on May 3, 1915, after presiding over the funeral of friend and fellow soldier Alexis Helmer, who died during the Second Battle of Ypres.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

–Lt. Col. John McCrae




My dad shared with me, that he recited, In Flanders Fields at a Memorial Day service, when he was in school. It is something he still is proud of doing and remembers well.

 

12 comments:

  1. What a nice post. I love this poem and have read it many times. Glad to read it again. That is so sweet about your dad reading the poem. Thank you Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flander's Fields is such a beautiful poem! I have also posted it for Memorial Day. I love the Lego men, they are so cool!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem! Wonderful memory for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten that Flanders was in southern Belgium/northern France. Daddy fought in France in WWII. Reciting this poem is a wonderful memory for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad fought in WWII, he flew over many such fields I am sure...perhaps even this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great photo! What a nice poem and memory to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We learnt this poem at school -- but I'm distressed we're still at war and haven't learnt anything it seems since the First World War...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful memory, I'm so glad you shared the poem ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very nice post Carla ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had to learn In Flander's Field in school too, an amazing poem to commit to memory. I enjoyed reading it again, it has long since left my memory though, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!