About The River

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

It is a Let's Go Ski Hodgepodge

Our Cabin in the UP .. the start of our Cross Country Ski adventure.

Hey, it is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.

 1. Where do you go when you need some inspiration?
It depends on what kind of inspiration I need. I will share a few ideas for certain times.
If I am looking for gardening inspiration, I enjoy looking at garden magazines, pinterest, garden books and Sarah Raven. Sarah Raven
If I am in need of inside my soul inspiration, Chuck Swindoll Chuck Swindoll 
and Zig Ziglar Ziglar
are my favorites.
If I need to have some creative inspiration, I will head outside.

  2. What's under your bed?
Nothing but wood floor.. maybe a dust bunny or two.

3. Thursday, February 22nd is National Chili Day, National Margarita Day, and National Cook a Sweet Potato Day. Of the three which would you most like to celebrate? Is that likely?
  Chili is on the menu for this week. 

4. What are you 'snowed under' with right now?
Scholarships.. helping our oldest find and apply. Helping with proofreading, encouragement and all the other that goes along with having a Senior in High School.

 5. Tell us three to five things that make you feel balanced?
Looking up at the skylight in our auto. Let us go for a ski!
Going for my daily walk with my dog Molly.
Reading my daily devotions.
Having reviewed the  weekly schedule each Sunday evening, everyone knows where and what is going on. Having meals planned for the week to somewhat go along with schedules.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

 Our family took a Winter Vacation!
We went to the UP for a Cross Country Ski vacation. We rented a cabin. 
It was decorated with so many fun details. Below is a German weather station that sat in the kitchen window.

 We skied across Lake Superior. From Ashland to Washburn, Wisconsin. If you missed my post Book Across the Bay it will explain the amazing ski, at night on Lake Superior.
 The fire breathing dragon along the ski trail.
Our decked out ski poles. We put glow sticks on our ski poles. The event is a 10K across the bay from Ashland to Washburn. We started doing this event when our youngest was 7 years old. It has become a family tradition. Our oldest will be heading off to college in August. After the race, he said, "count me in for next year mom! We will always do The Book together".
 

23 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun time you must have had on your vacation! I am off to read your other post since I missed it.

    Have a beautiful day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love it that you guys do the Book Across The Bay! Such transition coming up for y'all. I'll have to say that bright skies like we're getting today are inspirational to me. I know God didn't give us blue skies today because I spent yesterday complaining about February, but I am so grateful for the cheery weather!! Thank you merciful Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great vaca. Helping a senior apply to colleges is not for the faint of heart. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vacation sounded amazing! I love the little weather center. Zig is great!! I know what you mean about having a senior in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome event! Traditions are the best, and these are memories for a lifetime. I hope the best scholarships come through!! I am impressed that you have nothing under your bed! Ours has keepers containing shoes and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww how lovely that your son still plans to be part of the trip next year. It's hard letting them go off to college but great when they come back. Looks like you had a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your vacation sounds like so much fun! I must have missed your post, so I'll go read it next. So sweet that your son is wanting to go again, too.
    I used to listen to Chuck Swindoll on the radio years ago. He's great and has some wonderful books too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your family certainly live a healthy lifestyle and nothing better than to do thing together. Your winter skiing vacation sounds like a perfect way to do fun things together.

    I admit to having a long plastic tote for my wrapping paper rolls under the bed. You'd probably would find a few dust bunnies too. lol.

    We're having a stretch of warmer temperature and the snow is melting nicely but still a lot left. It feels likes spring is almost here.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We skied across Lake Superior. From Ashland to Washburn, Wisconsin. If you missed my post Book Across the Bay it will explain the amazing ski, at night on Lake Superior."

    Wow!

    Love the dragon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tradition and how nice that you've been able to keep it going. Enjoyed your hodgepodge! ~The Happy Wonderer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to catch up on your vacation post :-) My oldest will be a senior this fall so searching for scholarships etc is on my list as well. Thanks for sharing, enjoy the rest of your week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have nothing under the bed either. I like the monsters to have plenty of room.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so neat that you have nothing under your bed!
    That German weather station is adorable.
    xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun vacation. I remember those days of seeking out colleges and all the financial stuff that goes with it. Good luck. It is all so worth it in the end. Have a great rest of the week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you had a nice winter vacation! We used to go up to Northern Wisconsin/UP Mich. for ski trips when I was a teenager. The cabins are fun. Some of the people would downhill, but I was always a cross-country fan. It seems so much safer and you get so warm and get a great workout. Now, I prefer to snowshoe or hike. Good luck with the applications--that is a frenetic, but rewarding time of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your post, and I'm happy y'all had such a great winter break skiing! Y'all do the neatest activities as a family, and you're gong to be so happy y'all did next year. It seems like yesterday we were going through the college application stuff with Shelley. She was so stressed, she only wanted to attend one college, and she did early admission so she wouldn't have to stress long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you took your CC skiing vacation! So fun! It sounds like a great family time! Loved that little weather clock! I know this MUST be a busy time getting things ready for college. We are getting ready for high school and that’s feeling stressful enough! Thinking of you! We’ve been hit with the flu :( My youngest has had a rough week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The ski trip sounds amazing from a special family moment perspective. I'm surprised to read that Lake Superior freezes over in the Winter. The glo sticks on the ski poles is a wonderful idea.
    College applications and stuff are daunting but a necessary rite of passage.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your answer for #1 on inspiration. Yes, looking for those scholarships is very time consuming. I like the things that make you feel balanced. Your ski trip sounds absolutely amazing and what a great family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so happy that your family tradition will continue on next year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like such a fun family holiday! Yes that senior year and college app process feel like a mountain that must be climbed. You'll be out from under soon though! Hope you've had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your vacation looks like a ton of fun...and there's nothing under my bed either! Well, except the cousins of your dust bunnies! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed getting to read your answers. I headed to your post about the ski trip!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!