About The River

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Get Up, Get Up, Get Outta Here, Gone ~ Hodgepodge

(Source)
It is Wednesday! Time for the Hodgepodge!
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.






 1. Share a winter memory from your childhood. 
I grew up on a dairy farm 15 miles from town. We lived on a country road. During the warm winter nights my sister and I would play "The Russians are Coming" while my parents milked the cows.

My sister and I built amazing snow forts. If we saw any headlights coming down the highway...well those were the Russians of course! We would dive into our forts.

Can you guess what war my sister and I heard our parents, grandparents and other family friends talk about?

 2. What was on your blog this time last year? (Besides the Hodgepodge of course!) If you weren't blogging, what in the world were you doing with all that free time? 

Last year at this time, I was blogging about a trip we took with friends to see a NASA exhibit at the River Falls library.


We enjoyed our time visiting the NASA Exhibit. We learned several things we did not know about space and the race to space with the Soviet Union.

NASA Exhibit: Voyages of Discovery




 3. Ellen Goodman is quoted as saying, 'We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.' 

Do you see more flaws or more potential in your life at the start of a new year? Have you done anything specific this month to address either one? Does the new year truly begin for you on January 1, or is there some other month of the year that feels like a fresh start and new beginning?

I see potential in my life at the start of the new year. Yes, I have been doing some research and studying on a dream I have. I signed up for a class in February to help me along.
Each month is new for me. Each season is new for me. As a gardener, new beginnings start in April with my plants and flowers.

 4. Who's an athlete you admire or respect and why?


Bob Uecker

Bob Uecker played baseball. But most of us know him as the voice of the Milwaukee Brewers. When listening to games, you get to hear all kinds of fun stories of Bob playing with the Milwaukee Braves and St. Louis Cardinals!

Bob turned 82 on January 26 and will be in the booth to call the games this baseball season.

I admire is love for the game of baseball, the work ethic he has and all the humor he adds to the ballgame.

 5. Do you like cream in your coffee? Whipped cream on your pumpkin pie? Cream cheese on a bagel? Sour cream on a baked potato? Cream of wheat for breakfast? Have you ever had a scone with clotted cream? Of all the creamy foods mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to you right this very minute?

 Yes, I love cream in my coffee! No, I do not like whipped cream on my pumpkin pie. Yes, cream cheese on a bagel. Yes, sour cream on a baked potato. Yes, cream of wheat for breakfast...my boys love cream of wheat!! Yes, I have enjoyed a scone with clotted cream.

Of all the food mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to me right this very minute?

Pumpkin pie!


6. Where were you last kept waiting for 'hours on end'? Or for what felt like hours on end? How well did you cope?

It was today! I had to call a company and cancel a subscription. I was on hold for 20 minutes. I was trying to do something while waiting. But I was afraid I would let my guard down, I needed to be ready if the person on the other end of the line gave me a hard time.

Thankful to say...after the wait of 20 minutes, I got everything taken care of.  I hope! 

 7. Believe it or not, when next week's Hodgepodge rolls around it will be February. Huh?!? Bid adieu here to January in seven words or less.

 January 2016 ... a great ski month!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.  

 The ski trails are in good condition. Wisconsin has warmer winter temperatures in the forecast this week. We have three ski trips planned. Two of the skis are candlelight skis. For the past two years our winters have been awful cold. Negative temperatures caused many of the events to be canceled. We are looking forward to this weekend of skiing.

(Source)

 Have a great Wednesday!

 


25 comments:

  1. A family weekend of skiing sounds so fun! I'm sad to say that most of our snow is melting away, it was 52° here yesterday which is completely unheard of! My daughter has a sledding party to go to this weekend but I have a feeling they'll have alternative plans, it looks like mild temperatures at least for the next 10 or so days. My daughter tried cream of wheat for the very first time ever today! She loved it and I thought it was so strange that you talked about it in this post today! We usually have oatmeal but I decided to change it up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried snow skiing several years ago...spent 3/4 of my time on the ground. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to Wisconsin once just passing through. Do your cross country ski? Is there mountain skiing? I like Cream of Wheat, but I prefer Crema de Arroz (same manufacturer, same box except for the name, but it's not called Creme of Rice here though Creme of Wheat is Creme of Wheat.) xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your sister would have fit right in with me and my sister : ) After we read The Diary of Anne Frank we used to play a pretend game of running from the Nazis. It sounds very un-pc to put it in writing, but the book resonated with us. We had very vivid imaginations and lots of pretend play. Enjoy your lovely Wisconsin winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sounds so fun to have grown up on a dairy farm. I have never skied but always think it looks so fun. I do go sledding and would love to try out a snow mobile :) Enjoy your fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candlelight skiing sounds amazing! I remember Bob Ueker's Lite beer commercials (at least I think that's what they were!). Uggh I hate waiting on hold. I put it on speaker and do something close by but I know what you mean about being ready for when they come on the line. Your childhood sounds idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing the war to which you refer in question #1 was the "Cold" one. Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood! All the best as we move into February.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I'm curious about the dream you have. I hope as it unfolds you'll share it with us. Love the spaceman. :) Were your parents and their friends talking about Vietnam? xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like 10% cream with my coffee in the morning and cream cheese on bagel and lots of whipped cream on my pumpkin pie. Yummm.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Russians are coming!! That made me laugh. I suspect that you were listening to your parents recalling fears of the Cold War, especially if they recounted the early 1960s. I hope you guys have a beautiful candlelight ski this weekend!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another really fun post Carla, you have a way of drawing the reader in to your stories! I could just imagine you and your sister diving for the snowbank, lol! Love anything creamy, yes ma'am! And oh the skiing! I want to go cross-country skiing so bad. The candlelight ski sounds fun.. so do you carry candles while you ski? lol! And do tell us, when you can, of how your dream unfolds. Have a grand evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candlelight ski trips sound fabulous. I grew up near Milwaukee and went to quite a few of the Milwaukee Braves games, yes the Braves before they became the Brewers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have similar igloo memories! We would spend weeks at a time with my cousins in New England and when it snowed...it snowed. So we built crazy igloos and stocked them with snowballs and had all out wars with the neighborhood kids. Out for hours at a time and I never even felt the cold!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh I miss skiing... have fun on your trips!

    I guessed the cold war.

    Thank you for the potato soup recipe! It sounds much easier than my version :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds likely we will get a lot more snow next week, is that in your forecast also?

    I do not know much about sports, at all. I thought that Bob Uecker was only an actor that did really well at the baseball rolls. Now I know why he is so good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful shots - love that snowy path.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots. That last one looks cold...endlessly wet over here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS Loved the comment about 'The Russians are coming!' Of its time? - though Putin is a scary guy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS Loved the comment about 'The Russians are coming!' Of its time? - though Putin is a scary guy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots. That last one looks cold...endlessly wet over here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember building forts. I love your memory. I could go for a pie of pumpkin pie right now. Have fun skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We used to build dens rather than forts, it was a place to completely immerse yourself in our imagination and I really miss those days. I could quite happily have cream with everything right now never mind the pumpkin pie :) Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The snow forts that you and your sister built sound fun, Carla. When I was growing up, me and the neighbor kids used to build dirt forts in the field next to our homes. Children have great imagination. You had all that snow to play with and to imagine and to enjoy!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. My brothers & I used to play a game similar to yours when we saw headlights coming down our road. Only it was "two eyes" ~ a monster ~ that we had to hide from. :)
    I enjoyed reading your answers to the questions.
    Have a great week.
    xo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!