About The River

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Book Reveiw ~ Lilac Girls

Book Review

Lilac Girls
Martha Hall Kelly


 I recently listened to Lilac Girls while driving my Meals on Wheels route.
Have you ever heard a story that just made you want to know more.
Lilac Girls did that to me.

 
Based on a true story of a New York socialite who championed a group of concentration camp survivors known as the Rabbits, this acclaimed debut novel reveals a story of love, redemption, and terrible secrets that were hidden for decades.
Caroline Ferriday is a former Broadway actress and liaison to the French consulate whose life is forever changed when Hitler’s army invades Poland in September 1939—and then sets its sights on France. An ocean away from Caroline, Kasia Kuzmerick, a Polish teenager, sinks deeper into her role as a courier for the underground resistance movement. In Germany, Herta Oberheuser, a young doctor, answers an ad for a government medical position—only to find herself trapped in a male-dominated realm of Nazi secrets and power.
The lives of these three women are set on a collision course when the unthinkable happens and Kasia is sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious Nazi concentration camp for women. Their stories cross continents, as Caroline and Kasia strive to bring justice to those whom history has forgotten.



If you have read Lilac Girls, tell me, did you like it? Did you dig into the story further?
I wanted to know what happened to Herta Oberheuser, the female German doctor. 

The survival of the girls, the sisterhood the prisoners create was amazing love, on how the prisoners where determined to save the Rabbits.

That is all I better share...let me know if you read it.


 

16 comments:

  1. I've seen this book at my library and wondered if it was good. I read a lot of books set in this time of war though and I have to take a break from it sometimes. It can be intense! Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is one I have not seen. Sounds like a story I would love. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a riveting book and is part of history. It's hard to believe the cruelty of what people can do to others. Thanks for your review.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does have a beautiful title, that kind of belies the sadness. This is one I have not heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a really good book, that I would probably never get around to reading. I can't seem to finish the Jan Karon book I've started..."A Light in the Window".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love historical fiction and while I have not read this one, I always dig deeper afterwards. I research to see what else I can find. Looks good, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this yet but it is on my "to read" list! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful read and I too love a story based on history and survival.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read it. It was a difficult read at times as the atrocities are beyond belief. I loved the way the stories were woven together, and the role that Caroline played. It is a book I will never ever forget. The human spirit is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like something I'd like to read. Will have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read this book, but it sounds like a book that would be disturbing, even as reading true history can be. I much prefer to read books about true stories, so this would be a book I possibly would consider reading. Continuing to pray for your dad! July 4th is coming soon :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review - I have to check it out, sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a very interesting book. I will have to put it on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It'son my request list at the library - thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not read this book, but it does sound a very good read.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoy novels of German occupied countries and the resistance during WWII. I've added this one to my list. Have you read The Nightingale? It's a story of two sisters in occupied France. One has a nazi officer living in her home. The other joins the resistance. I read that book last summer and loved it.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!