About The River

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

September Article for the Cameron Chronicle

 

Hello Friends, today I will be sharing the September article I wrote for our village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle " The Little Paper With Personality."

 

 ♥

Carla

 

 

Seed Saving from the Garden

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


Late summer is here. We can see the change in the daylight hours, cooler evenings and the hint of autumn color. Now is the time to start to collect seed pods. If you have never done this before, start with something easy like poppy, marigold or zinnia. Collect the seed once the flower has began to fade at the close of the season. Squash, pumpkin, pepper and tomatoes are also easy to save seed from. Be sure to dry the seed or seed head, once dry, split the seed head and harvest the seeds. Envelopes work well to store your seeds. Be sure to remember to label your envelope.


Do not forget to write in your garden journal. What worked well this season? What went totally wrong? Write down ideas you have seen and want to create in your garden next season. Did you taste any vegetables or herbs that you want to grow next garden season, write down the varieties, trust me, one forgets when April rolls around. This way when spring comes you will be all set to get into a new season of gardening.


Do not forget to order your spring flowering bulbs.




 

 

10 comments:

  1. Great article as usual. Thanks for reminding me I need to =save my zinnia seeds. Its been a rainy 3 days now. More rain since Fall began than in the Summer here. Go figure. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved some impatient seeds last year and planted them this spring and I found that mould grew on the seeds. I used a dusting of sulphur and managed to save some seedling but I never had that problem with bought seeds before. Maybe I should have dried the little seed pods first.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips on saving seeds from the garden. Have a great evening. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your article, Carla. It was simple, to the point, and giving great advice. I think it's smart to write in a garden journal. Pumpkin seeds would be so delightful. I can just imagine seeing lots of pumpkins bursting in the garden! I just bought one for my front porch yesterday.

    Have a happy week, dear Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. We save our seeds, but I've never kept a gardening journal. That's a great idea and one I should start now...before I forget what we did this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good advice. I do save a few seeds. Thank you Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are saving seeds! It's Cliff's project and he is having a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your articles :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this Carla, and I have copied/pasted it into a text to share with my TG, who has already followed some of your excellent advice! He was somewhat frustrated in his vegetable gardening efforts this year, and is struggling to find the reasons. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!