About The River

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

It is a "I DID IT" Hodgepodge

 

Happy Mother's Day

a little hanky and photo of me and my mom

Hello Friends, today is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

 

Click here to join the fun 

 1. Did you watch the Kentucky Derby this past weekend? No, I did not.  Have you ever been to a horse race? No, I have not.  Ever ridden a horse? Yes, I have. Did you enjoy it? Yes, I did. My uncle and aunt use to own a riding stable. They had a lovely business. Beautiful trails in the woods and very gentle horses.   Have you ever been to Kentucky? Yes.. just a drive thru. Do you like Bourbon? Yes.

2.  What's something you wish you'd placed in a time capsule fifteen years ago? 

Memories that I made fifteen years ago, that I cannot seem to remember today. Ha ha!


3. Are you adventurous? Elaborate. 

I will say, Yes. When we canoe or go kayaking I will be the first to say, how about we paddle down this stream. The last time I said this we got stuck on a sand bar on a little creek, we could not really turn around, it was a true adventure to get out. 

4. Something you want to make this year? It can be a new recipe, craft, diy project, a milestone you've set for yourself...anything at all. 

I just finished a huge project (for me) a T-shirt quilt for our oldest son.

I finished it Friday, May 3!!

We gave it to him for his birthday on Saturday, May 4th.

Note.. his birthday is April 7th, but he was away with the Wisconsin National Guard during his birthday, we celebrated this Saturday.

 

 

Using T-shirts from when he was a little boy, to a teen boy. It was a lot of fun to create this special memory quilt for him.



 

We celebrated Sam's birthday at Pattison State Park. Pattison State Park is Sam's favorite Wisconsin state park. He was very touched by the quilt and it made my heart swell!! We enjoyed a day of hiking, a fun picnic and birthday cupcakes.

 


5. Cinco de Mayo was also celebrated this past weekend...do you like Mexican food? I do. We have a fantastic Mexican Restaurant in our area,  Casa Mexicana . If so what's your favorite dish? Chimichanga de Tinga  Have you ever been to Mexico? Yes.  Margarita-yes or no? Yes.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 A few photos from our day out at Pattison State Park.




 

 

20 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful. I love the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful birthday gift. Your T-shirt memory quilt is fabulous. Sam will cherish this quilt for a very long time I'm sure. You did a great job, Carla.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is awesome! I had one made for my daughter's college graduation, so much fun to see T-shirts from so many school, horse riding, and other memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Love the quilt. I've made a few t-shirt quilts for the grandkids and that was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt! I have a whole bag of t-shirts that were my daughter2's from college that I'd like to turn into a quilt. I don't think I have the skill, but I know there are professionals out there who would be able to do it. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tee shirt blanket is awesome. What a great gift. Happy Wednesday. Have a great rest of the week and Happy Mother's Day. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, what a nice birthday gift, and I bet that made your son smile! A lot of love went into that quilt.

    I had planned to make a t-shirt quilt using Michael's sports t-shirts. He passed away 21 years ago today, and I never got around to it. When I checked on the condition of the T-shirts in storage, I realized that I had missed my chance. Oh well.

    That bridge looks like one near Burney Falls, California.
    I'd say the consensus is, more Hodgepodgers like Mexican food than those who do not!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could not have given him a more perfect gift! Something useful, pretty, and loaded with the memories of his lifetime. It is really awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos from your time at Pattison! That is one great reason to keep t-shirts from days gone by. What a very fun quilt to make and give! So many memories. I'm going to suggest this to our daughter-in-law. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blanket is cool! We have a lot of shirts from when my husband was running a lot of races - half and full marathons - and I keep meaning to do this but never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carla, the T-shirt quilt you made is incredible! I just love that idea - what a treasure you have gifted him! And how fun to spend the day outside too! So many rich blessings in this post - we love Mexican food here too. I made chicken enchiladas on Sunday. I am always up for adventure too... you just never know what kind of fun you will have! Many blessings to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What as awesome gift....You are so talented and this is a great idea. Love the pictures and the falls, the water and the bridge are most definitely something I would love to see. Gorgeous. Happy Mother's Day weekend to you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photographs you've shared here.
    The quilt you made for Sam looks brilliant.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent job on the quilt. Love the picture of you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love t-shirt quilts, but I've never made one. It looks great - what a useful way to display happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blanket is so great, what a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous quilt you made for Sam! Am sure he will cherish it. We found this fabulous Mexican restaurant in Ohio that we want to go again soon. We think the Mexican ones in Ohio are much better than those here in Michigan. I made chicken nachos for Cinco De Mayo, but no margaritas. I had to work the next day. :-) Happy Mother's Day Carla! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. That must have been fun with their business and the horses. That's funny, I have another blogger who said she couldn't think of anything for the capsule so I suggested that she should have put her memory in it. LOL I love the quilt. That is a very special gift. Yum on the food. That park is beautiful. Have a Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the quilt. I love chimichangas. The photos from the state park are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The t-shirt quilt is great.. something he can cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!