About The River

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Winter in the Greenhouse

This past Autumn we put up a small greenhouse. This was a dream come true for me. 


In the Spring we will complete the greenhouse by putting in shelving and doing landscaping.
Our greenhouse does not have heat in it at this time. I may run a small milk house heater in it this Spring. At this time I am just using the sun as my heat for the greenhouse.



The Northlands Winter Greenhouse Manual 
Authors: Carol Ford
Chuck Waibel

This book is fantastic for cold climates. It gives several ideas of how to use your greenhouse all year long without spending a lot of money.


Another fantastic resource.


Taking a peek inside. I have my greens planted and covered with straw.
 

A little plant popping up to say "Hi!"
 

 Another peek of green.



Today it was 10 degrees outside and it was 31 in the greenhouse when the sun started to shine in. The power of the sun is amazing. As the sun continues to become stronger my plants will continue to grow. Carol Ford and Chuck Waibel shared the Winter Mini Season in their book, The Northlands Winter Greenhouse Manual.

Winter Mini Season
Diminishing ~ late September to Mid November
You should plant .. arugula and mustard's
Solstice ~ late November to Early January
You should plant .. tatsoi and mizuna
Expansion ~ Mid January to Late March
You should plant .. mixed leaf lettuce


This is an experiment for me, I really have no idea what will happen. It is worth trying. It also helps with the winter blues. This way I am still puttering around in the garden and going in the greenhouse to peek at the plants is just something fun to do.
I have a feeling I might just be having a fresh garden salad by the end of February.


 

18 comments:

  1. You'll have such fun experimenting with your greenhouse! Will be great for Fall when you can protect plants and flowers that you want to last longer. The power of the sun...it sure works here in FL. Our house has lots of windows and gets lots of sunlight! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited! Since I do not have a green thumb, I have to live vicariously through those that do! I cannot wait to see your plants and I just adore your greenhouse! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be fun following your experiment. I'd like to get my greenhouse back but it needed to come down to dig our well. Enjoy your greenhouse.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!!! Lucky, lucky you!!! I have always wanted a greenhouse...not sure one is in my future at this point as I have no idea where we will be in the next year or so. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to see what happens with the greenhouse! I am so jealous!! I want one soooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to see some green popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have your own greenhouse. I used to love visiting the greenhouse in our town in early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! And when the spring comes and you put in the shelves it will be just awesome. Are these your first plants popping up? What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for you. I'm glad it's going well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so fun to see the little green plants starting to poke through! I don't have a greenhouse, but the sunroom offers a similar opportunity. Enjoy your new plant adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so exciting! So happy that you've got the little greenhouse. It looks really nice. I think you're right about that fresh garden salad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carla,
    I love that you have this sweet greenhouse to be curious and experimental with your plants. There is nothing better than fresh home grown salad. Yum! Happy Friday.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so blessed to have your very own greenhouse. It has always been a dream of mine! Please post updates! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be such an asset to you and your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great! I like your plans. Here we have to get through the summer. I need to get on the ball and get my spouse to fix the beds if I am going to have my garden from February through May. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well this sounds like fun! I can't wait to follow along to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pleased you have this greenhouse, I think you'll enjoy experimenting with it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. So interesting! I was curious how warm it was inside compared to the outdoor temp. 31 is pretty good! I am excited to watch you learn.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!