About The River

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Think Happy Thoughts ~ It is the Medley

It is Wednesday my friends and that means it is time for Wednesday Medley.



 Terri asks the questions.
We answer the questions.









NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY

In the United States, National Croissant Day is observed each year on January 30th. Croissants are a buttery, crescent-shaped rolls that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  
The key to a perfect croissant is laminating the dough. Laminating the dough is a process by which butter is folded into the mixture creating multiple thin layers of butter and dough. The result is a mouth-watering flaky crust and airy body.
Legend surrounds this pastry, as is often the case with a popular, worldly treat. What is known, is that crescent-shaped breads have been found around the world for ages. One of these was the Kipferl which originated in Austria as far back as the 13th century. This nonlaminated bread is more like a roll.
Credit for the croissant we know today is given to an Austrian military officer, August Zang. In 1939 he opened a Viennese bakery in Paris introducing France to Viennese baking techniques.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Stop by the bakery for a fresh, warm croissant or try making your own using this recipe: Croissants recipe.

1.  Well, I do love croissants when they are fresh, but day-old croissants need to be turned into a donut.  I happen to really like the croissants that have a donut-like glaze on them!  Sugar overload but so good.  So... do you like croissants? I do! What is your favorite way to eat them? With Chicken Salad or Egg Salad.
 2.  Speaking of food... How do you handle stress?
I like to clean. I usually start to vacuum. 
3.  Out of the negative emotions of greed, anger, jealousy, and hate, which one would you say affects you the most?
Jealousy 
4.  Out of the positive emotions of compassion, positivity, enthusiasm, and initiative, which one is your biggest strength?
Positivity
5.  What do you get every time you go grocery shopping, other than the staples such as bread, milk, butter, flour, sugar...
Crackers, cheese and olives!
And Ginger Ale!
When you run out of room in the refrigerator during the holiday's in Wisconsin.
  6.  Please tell us something random about your week so far.
 Wisconsin is just a wee bit Refreshing this week. As I write up this post we are at -20 and -30 windchill. With this cold the Sea Caves at the Apostle Islands may be open. Click on the link to read about our adventures in 2014 when we hiked out to the Sea Caves.
 

That is me and my boys in 2014 sitting in a frozen sea cave.
 

22 comments:

  1. Las fotos son estupendas! Que tengas un buen día! ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I feel stress or get bad news....I clean! lol I like to put things in order! We've been watching the weather and they've had a lot to say about Wisconsin! Stay WARM and safe! Stay inside!!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love croissants but I seldom eat them. They are packed with sugar and butter and almost 300 calories each, but they are tasty when fresh. I used to buy them a lot and made sandwiches with them until I discovered that they were not a healthy food choice for me. But they are taste so good.
    I love the sea caves pictures. So cool.

    I hope it warm up a bit. If feels colder when there's no snow.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey, you are some kind of brave to sit in the cave...I would have had a panic attack! It is beautiful though!! I think jealousy is something that affects all of us, on a daily basis. Sometimes we may not recognize that little bite of the emotion, but I think it is there. Women are so susceptible to that and in the world where social media rules and throws everything at us at one time, I think it makes us so much more vulnerable to that emotion! Crackers, cheese and olives are something we get all the time also...and Benefiber...LOL Love and hugs sweet friend! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sea caves look so cool and a little scary! I'll be over for some cheese(vegan of course) and crackers and some icy ginger ale! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sea caves are fascinating, and I love the pictures on your previous post. My, it seems you almost risk your life getting there! You are adventurous! Which is NOT a bad thing! To relax I either eat or organize drawers and cabinets. I never even thought of eating chicken or egg salad on a croissant, DUH! I am on my way to the grocery store, and will not pick up some croissants! Because I have a new egg salad recipe I want to try. Who knew a man invented them??!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing caves! That's neat that you can get a good croissant! My parents leave in the east, and I'm always surprised by the great bakeries. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Those sea caves are amazing...this country truly is filled some spectacular sights. And I'm a cheese and crackers girl, too. Probably too much of that cheese, but I can't help myself...yum!! Stay warm my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun post, my friend. And wow! That cave is amazing :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'll pass on the sea caves today, but yeah I'd really like to see them. In my tiny phone screen it looks like there's one boy and one black bear!! We use our outdoor freezer too. Today would freeze fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting how many responses talk of savoury filled croissants. I never put anything but sweet things in mine lol. The cave pics are fantastic but I wouldn't like to have your temperatures! Stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cleaning is such a productive thing to do when you are stressed. I think that may have been what I used to do, but I hate cleaning now. Hahahahaha
    That sea cave is so cool! Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite, too---Croissants with chicken salad! Yum!! All of our schools are closed here today and tomorrow (MINUS 50° with wind chill) I took the day off and did A WHOLE LOTTA NOTHING! lol

    Have a good night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are outstanding at all of the positive emotions! Despite how cold it is, a Ginger Ale would sure hit the spot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo egg salad... I may have to make that today for lunch! Sea caves.. interesting.., don't think I could do it...just not a fan of being out in the cold! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love ginger ale! I quit soda in 2004 but sometimes I'll buy myself a liter of ginger ale and drink it over 3-4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carla,
    You are so right croissants are so good fresh. I love one with some egg salad or chicken salad on it. We are up to minus 24 today and moving up. They said by Monday we could be in the 50's!!! This weather is too nuts.
    I need to get out of the house so I will look forward to the temps starting to rise tomorrow. Stay warm my friend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also clean when I'm stressed! And I like my croissant with butter and jam and a strong cup of coffee. I hope you're keeping warm, Carla.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that shot of the frozen sea cave!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sea cave must have been quite an adventure! I like the free refrigeration, too! I remember setting bottles of Coca Cola in the dorm window sill back in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  21. AS you freeze we cook. This was an interesting read:

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12199109

    Happy weekend to you. keep warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness, that photograph of the frozen sea cave is amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!