About The River

Friday, October 27, 2017

On the Road Friday ~ Cable Natural History Museum ~ Cable, Wisconsin

On September 16th my son Atticus and I did something new together. We took an art class at Cable Natural History Museum. Click here to learn more about the museum.

The museum was hosting a Developing Your Eye with Botanical Illustration in honor of Lois Nestel, the Museum's founding director and naturalist. Lois was a talented artist.
 

 We arrived early. Cable is about an hour and 20 minute drive from our home.
Our instructor was Janet Moore.
Janet provided us with a supply list. Atticus enjoyed picking up new art supplies.
Janet also provided some of her own supplies. She gave us the most amazing watercolor paper.

  
We worked on a single leaf exercise during the morning portion of the class.


 After lunch we went out into the garden and picked our next live plant specimen to watercolor with guided instruction.


 I decided on a Viola.


 Atticus did a member of the Aster family.


Atticus and I were both very impressed with the museum, the staff and the class.

 
 

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend time together, love the watercolours xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, mother and son taking a class together, I like that... You guys did very well. It looks like a lot of fun. I took a brush stroke class ages ago and I really enjoyed it but I'm out of practice by now.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you both painted like professionals! And only with one lesson? You must have started out with some artistic talent. I would have just loved this, because I cannot even draw a stick man. I just can't get over how beautiful these are. You really should make them a collage, frame them, and show them off as a reminder about this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun...I would've LOVED that class!!! Do you remember the kind of watercolor paper she shared with y'all! BTW I received my information about cranberries yesterday!!! :D Have you tried any of the recipes? You're the *best*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is wonderful. You are both very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all great renditions! You both did a great job!!!! What a fun thing to do, Carla. Hope you have a great weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun Carla. Your son shares your creative soul too. Glad you could do this class together.
    Happy Weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day for both of you! I see Atticus is as talented as you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun class to do. You'll be making water colour cards soon for your little business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a marvelous way to spend time together. I love watercolors, they are vibrant and interesting to work with...and isn't that paper fun??

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! So glad that Atticus is embracing art making. And of course, botanical watercolors, you know they're close to my heart. ;)

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You both are very talented painters! What fun to take this class together, and to learn how to paint using real models. I bet you can take this technique to your garden and have quite a lot of fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very impressed with your painting talents! Sounds like a great activity to do with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to spend time together like this.
    I do like your artwork too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to spend time with your son. You both did very well! Lovely artwork.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and a wonderful activity for Mom and Kiddo!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!