About The River

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Some Good News

Some Good News

Thank you all for the support during the clean up from the lighting strike. Just when we got most of our devices and cables replaced, we received another scare when the power pole went crashing down. You kind of feel like "what next?" 

Not just in my own eventful days of late, but in the world as well. 
You never know what you will hear about next on the news.  To be honest, it gets hard to listen to another awful event. Hurricanes, fires, war and shootings. 


Our family had many a discussion this week. 
Courage, dear heart ... that was the main focus ... have courage. 
Monday left me feeling strange and reminding me, enjoy each day you have. 

Taking  the quote from my dad "Have the Best Day Ever" ... we reminded our boys we have to continue on. We honestly do not know what will happen. We have to be brave, love and press on, shine on with light.

Sharing GOOD news and happy times .... take a look at this ....

 My dad, who suffered a heart attack April 11th.
He has pressed on this 2017 with many changes. His heart attack and the decision to leave dairy farming. With his positive attitude and deciding to "Have the Best Day Ever" he keeps going.
Here he is helping with cranberry harvest at my sister's cranberry farm, Copper River Cranberries.

Having a sister who has a cranberry farm makes me lucky to get as many cranberries as I want. We do love cranberries. I am sharing our very favorite Cranberry Cake recipe.  This cake makes a perfect breakfast cake or a dessert.




Cranberry Cake

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with sugar until slightly thickened and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add butter and extract, beat 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Stir in cranberries.

Spread into a greased 13in. x 9in. x 2in. baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. 

Enjoy

My son Atticus loves this cake! It is his very favorite.

24 comments:

  1. I appreciated your good thought this morning, Carla. All the tragedy is making me more thankful for the many undeserved blessings I have. I would love to see the cranberry harvest The cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your positive attitude and how you help your sons go ahead with a positive attitude and courage. You are a super mom.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I bet it's tart and delicious! I'm pinning it! Thanks, Carla!

    BTW How wonderful for your dad!!! Why are cranberries always in the water? Like on the commercials? We don't grow cranberries down here....

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, So happy for your father. You are teaching your boys right. We just have to keep going, even when we want to hide from the world. It will make them stronger. There are times when I think...please God no more...Then I pray for our nation and our leaders. I am wishing blessings to you and your loved ones. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dad's mantra...it's become so much more meaningful in the last few weeks, hasn't it? Looks like he is trying to really live by his words and I think that's awesome. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad your dad is enjoying life and being active! I agree with all you say, you have a wonderful attitude. My son's family will not turn the news on when the kids are awake, it is just too upsetting. All the more reason that we try to help others and enjoy each day that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the right attitude! It's been a tough couple of days for sure. That cranberry cake look amazing! Lucky you to have a sister with a cranberry farm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So thankful that your Dad is able to help at your sister's cranberry farm. The cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally forgot to mention how fantastic it is to have a cranberry farm in your family.
    The cake looks very delicious.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your dad's attitude and having courage is something that we all surely need during these troubled times. You are teaching your boys right.
    The cake looks so yummy and I'm wishing I could have a piece. Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to do here Carla. Sounds like a lot has happened, and not all of it good, but at least your dad is doing well and has a great attitude.

    How cool that your sister has a cranberry farm, and you get to enjoy the fruits of her labor. I love them too and your cake looks and sounds wonderful!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen so many cranberries!! That is amazing. I like your dad's quote. We need to do that every day! That cake looks delicious. I would love to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, cranberries are either dried or frozen in New Zealand, something we don't grow here.
    Quite amazing seeing them in their natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good advice, Carla! Wow, an endless supply of cranberries...that would be awesome. I'm not a huge fan of cranberries in baked goods, but I LOVE dried, slightly sweetened ones. And they're so good for us. Enjoy! Yes, "Courage, dear heart." :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We do indeed have to carry on with hope and kindness while also trying our best to make the world better.

    ReplyDelete

  16. An absolutely beautiful picture...especially because your dad is in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning Carla and Happy Friday. It is hard to see what is going on in our world these days. I too sometimes get caught up in dwelling in the negative around us. I worry for my grand girls and what kind of world they will be living in as they grow up. I am learning too that you have to look at the blessings and good things that are in our lives too. Some days are harder than others especially when you put on the news! Happy Friday and Have a great weekend. Ahhhhhhh to have fresh cranberries. Love seeing your dad helping out. That is a blessing right there.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to know you're Dad is doing so well and that cranberry cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just that photo of your dad with the cranberries is enough to cheer anyone. And cake as well! A great post, Carla.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy to know your dad is doing better! Those pictures of him are so neat.

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure it was hard on your dad to give up dairy farming. I think it is in your blood and the saddest I ever saw my dad was when he realized he could not help in the barn anymore (he had Parkinson's). I was only a kid but I remember it like it was yesterday.

    Looks like your dad is keeping busy with cranberry harvest.

    I saved that recipe and will try it this fall. I like that it is such a simple recipe. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't been able to turn the tv on this past week. Just needed to stay away from it all for a while. I didn't realize your sister had a cranberry farm. This is so very cool and interesting! I'd love to hear more about it :)
    I've made your cranberry cake before and it is soooo delicious!

    Your dad is a very wise man :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never made cranberry cake but oh my goodness it looks delicious! How wonderful that your dad was able to help your sister out! It is so sad all of the events in the world around us but yes we must have courage in spite of it all. So good for you to spend that time talking with your boys, hugs to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your Dad's best day ever motto. I think it's a healing one! Thank you for sharing this yummy cake, looks perfect for the upcoming season!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!