About The River

Friday, July 6, 2018

Robert Kemp .. Canna Lily

I had all these canna lily rhizmoe that I saved last Autumn and they winter over well. My husband gave the suggestion I pot them and sell at market.
The following website is very interesting regarding Heirloom plants.


 I printed up photos of the photos we have taken of our Canna Lily over the years to share at market. The one thing about Canna that I love is the fact that pollinators LOVE them. If you love hummingbirds, you want to have a Canna Lily in your yard or on your deck.
 

 My husband was so impressed at how big the leaf got. He took this photo measuring the leaf with his phone.

 A photo of  the photo I took to market to share what the Canna bloom looked like.

  
My husband created this care sheet for me to pass out, it has information on the back as well. Canna's can be planted in pots. Many people do not know that. I have a Canna in a galvanized bucket on our North deck. The large green leafs are a favorite look of mine.

At market .. I am happy to report I spread Canna love to other yards in the area.

 

16 comments:

  1. How wonderful! And they are so good to multiply...there will be even more of them! Nice job! Enjoy your day my friend! You might like to see my post today too! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, You husband seems to have some advertising skills. :):) The lily looks so pretty. I love the big leaves. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! and they attract hummingbirds. I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carla! I have seen these plants and wondered what they were, the leave are so HUGE! So now I know! I think your price is really good, too. So good to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to see this canna featured today. I grew up seeing cannas in yards of farmhouses but never planted any until we moved here to this little old farmhouse. I got a late start ordering the three we have but love the Canna Musifolia with its large greenish purple leaves that is supposed to reach 6 ft tall. It's now almost 3 ft. And I got 2 Canna Yellow Futurity that are smaller and have green leaves. We planted them in 3 concrete urns so they will be easy to dig out in the fall. I've already researched it and learned to wait until after the first frost kills the leaves but I'm worried about the storing at 50 degree info. We just don't have that, only house temps or freezing temps in the barn.

    How do you store yours in the winter? They were only $4 or $5 apiece from Horn Canna Farm so not to bad to replace if I can't keep them but it would be fun to try.

    Yours is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful and I love that they attract Hummingbirds. So pretty.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I'd buy some from you!! I need to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friends of ours have these in their yard and they are outstanding. They offered us some last year and until now I had forgotten all about that. I think I have a call to make! ;) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my Canna lilies, I have about 6 different varieties in my garden, luckily I can leave them planted there over winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss having canna lily so much. They are so beautiful, and definitely an attention grabber! I had so many issues getting them out of the ground at the end of the season, I decided to wait a few years and see if I can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It amazes me how huge they get over the growing season--even in a northern climate! I've never tried to grow them because of my limited sun, but I really like them! Great photos, Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to read this post! I've been trying to think of a flower to grow in an empty flower bed I've just cleaned out. Canna Lily would do perfect. Wish I lived closed to you and could buy a few of yours. I will go on line and look. Thanks Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pleased you were able to spread Canna love …
    Lovely flowers.
    I liked seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty. I used to have these in the backyard and they took over! I finally got them all moved. I think I might try them in a pot. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful! I enjoyed learning a bit more about them too :)

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!