About The River

Thursday, March 14, 2019

2019 Winter

Hello my Friends,
I promised snow photos and today is the day! We have lived in Cameron, Wisconsin for 22 years. This is the first winter we can remember with so much snow in just a few short weeks. It has been a memory maker and add in the -35 degree and  -51 degree windchill day that our Governor declared a State of Emergency.  Yep, the winter of 2019 will be one for the books.


 Making a path to the greenhouse.


 After each snow storm I would clean the roof of the greenhouse. 
Making the piles of snow along side of it.


 On one side of our driveway.. a big snow pile.


 On the other side of our driveway.. another big pile.


 Cleaning off the snow up on the roof.


 We have to be careful of ice dams forming. My husband used a roof rake to pull the snow down.


Snowshoes come in handy to stay on top of the pile while working with the roof rake.


 The Flower Shack .. Closed for the Season .. but will soon have Spring blooms. It won't be long now. The forecast has 50 degrees for next week. And my cousin did not see, but she heard the unmistakable song of the Robin in Southern Wisconsin on Tuesday. The Robin are on their way back, Spring will soon be here to Northwest Wisconsin.

The March wind roars
Like a lion in the sky, And makes us shiver 
As he passes by.
When winds are soft,
And the days are warm and clear,
Just like a gentle lamb,
Then Spring is here.

Anonymous

 

18 comments:

  1. That's a lot of snow in a very short time. I like the idea of wearing snowshoes while pulling the snow off the roof. One of our old building shelter for the heifers collapsed last month but there were no heifers in there. Since we have only 2 milking cows left, the heifers were moved in the barn for the winter.

    I can't wait for my seeds to arrive so I can plant my begonias.
    Take care, hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I don't think I've ever seen so much snow. We got a lot of rain this winter, everything was soggy, snow is so much prettier to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word Carla, that is a lot of snow. I did hear about the horrible snow "bomb" that was hitting of few states...looks like you guys were part of it! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those pictures are amazing. So many states have new records this year. In our 30 years living in Southern California we don't remember a Winter with so much rain along with cold temperatures. We have had rain 3 days a week for a few months now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Is that your husband up on the roof? The little flower shack is so cute! Where did you get it, and what do you use it for? At least the little greenhouse is still standing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Just wow! We never have snow like that here. Or such low temperatures. I really hope you get spring soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that is a sight to behold. Parts of the South Island of New Zealand get snow like that, never where I live though. On the plus side for you, it does mean great skiing for you. Happy weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely a winter for the books! We have drifts like I haven't seen in many many years! I tried to cut through the yard after the last storm to get back to the chicken coop, but we had a drift right behind the house that was almost 5 foot! Needless to say, I had to take the long way to the coop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys really got hit hard Carla. We had a lot of snow too but not like you did up in Wisconsin. Let's hope your cousin is hearing right and did hear the Robin's song. We need Old Man Winter to clear out and let Spring in. Happy Friday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not envy you all that snow...I guess my age is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even imagine....and what is an ice dam?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brrr! So cold! Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing! And cold! And so very different from my own experience of winter.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to see how schools and businesses stay open in conditions like this but I'm assuming they do? It's almost a full time job coping with a snow like this. And that roof raking looks dangerous! Poor little Flower Shack! But what a pretty spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is too much snow!! And I hold my breath every time my husband ventures on the roof but we've had an ice dam and it was bad. I'm really looking forward to spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our winter has been just like yours Carla, so strange! We were worried about the lack of snow in January, but February was unbelievable with all the snow we got. We have to rake our roofs too. Snow much work indeed! Snow is just so pretty and so fun to play in, but it does make for a LOT of work! I am looking forward to spring too, and we just had a beautiful day here, up to 60+ degrees! Lots of snow melting going on, and spring is indeed around the corner! Enjoyed seeing all your pictures! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, that is so much snow … roll on Spring!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a winter we had. Our snow isn't yet all melted, but it's trying. I know I can't count on no more snow before it's really spring (crossing my fingers here!), but we've passed the worst of it. Not too long now and your flower shack will be filled with blooms, not snow! :)

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!