About The River

Friday, August 16, 2019

Whiskey Barrel

 I always wanted to have a pond in our yard or garden. My husband and I did our best in thinking of how we could put one in. In doing our research we realized a real pond was not in our budget at this time.  I  recently attended an Adding Water to Your Garden workshop. I learned you do not need to go big to add a water feature to your garden.
 You do not need pumps and electricity. You do not need to dig huge holes and have liners.

All you need is a whiskey barrel or other fun containers to have a water feature.

 Creating a little water feature in the garden cost us a total of $95.00!

List of items..
whiskey barrel
galvanized bucket
raised bed garden soil
pond plant
fish
 I have added some more plants after I took these photos. I also added a lantern. I am looking for the perfect twinkle lights to add, I do need them to be solar if anyone has any good tips.
 The plants I started from seed or divided from plants in my other gardens.

The log fairy gardens I created and planted succulents with in the log.

I found the turtle shell on a spring walk. The turtle must have froze during our cold, cold winter. The shell was floating in the lake we take our daily walk along.

My boys helped me build the rock area of the garden. They also sifted out some gravel we had from another project for the bottom layer of the pond. I added some blue marbles, a pond plant and fish.

I am enjoying going out each day to check on my fish. We also had several comments from friends who have stopped by to see the garden, " how fun to have a little pond". I guess that would be right on since our garden is The Little Garden That Could.


Have a blessed weekend my friends.
I have seen some sightings of Autumn in the air in my neck of the woods. How about you?

 ♥
Carla
 

16 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Perfect to take care of too. We keep a little dish of water in our courtyard for the birds and lizards to drink out of. And no....it's FULL summer here! Rainy and warm! Enjoy your day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new water feature in your garden. The fish will eat any mosquitos larva so it's perfect. A nice little place to sit and enjoy the fish.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love garden water features. They attract birds. That is a sweet one you have near a nice bench. Blessings, xoxo, love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! I love it Carla. It's just perfect. Our pond is very small, too. It was a Kmart special, but like yours it does the trick. Enjoy your new residents...and ps...those blue marbles are such a pretty touch! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a genius. It is beautiful. And how relaxing it would be to just sit beside it on a balmy day. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your water feature! I love all of the special touches you made to it too! The whiskey barrel is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new water feature.
    This year is flying by and Autumn is just around the corner!

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute pond Carla! I had one at my other house. A small one..noliner, just dirt to be natural. I was so excited to have tadpoles in there, then a turtle came in. Was even more excited until I realized he was only there to eat the tadpoles. UGH. Good luck with yours! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun. The little garden that could is really the little garden that can!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, you are so creative! I would love to have something like that, but I'll have to wait for a time when we don't have so many critters running around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have two old whiskey barrels as big planters...but....I LOVE your idea of turning one into a water feature. It's a great idea, Carla. I bet you find yourself drawn there all the time. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so awesome Carla. I love that you used a whiskey barrel. Your talents just go on forever. Love that about you. Happy Saturday sweet friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. It looks so pretty. What kind of fish do you have in there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carla, I just love this! What a fabulous idea! You guys did an awesome job! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!