About The River

Thursday, September 5, 2019

I started in June ...

I wanted to share with you all about my new part  time job.
Many of you know for the past 2 1/2 years I delivered Meals on Wheels part time. I enjoyed this and I shared many of the inspiring people  I met here at The River.

In May, I saw that our Barron County Daybreak program had a part time position available. 
I did enjoy delivering meals. I did not enjoy driving in the winter. I had a rural route, my route was 90 miles a day. I was feeling like I wanted to make a change.
 I was excited to see the job posting for Daybreak. I do enjoy working with elderly people. 

Daybreak is an adult day program for those 60 or better with cognitive impairment, Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

I applied for the position.   I was called in for an interview and I got the position.  
I began working part time for Daybreak in June.

The day is structured like a school day. The participants arrive at 9:00 in the morning. We have a morning snack and coffee. Each day we have a speaker and a show and tell. We have music and exercise. We enjoy a lunch together and an afternoon game of bingo, trivia or other. The participants head for home at 2:00 in the afternoon.
We also go on field trips. 
We visited Irving Zoo and Park. Attended the County Fair and a trip to the Museum. 

I have enjoyed working for Daybreak the past few months. I enjoy older people and all that they have to share. You get attached to the participants quickly. I have come to understand each ones likes and dislikes.  It also is heartbreaking to watch a disease take memories away. When they want to share but just can not. Or get frustrated because they are so confused. My goal is to make them smile each day I work and know that someone cares for them.

"Your compassion for others shines through every time you become aware of another person's need and respond in some way. Of course you can not take care of the whole world, but do take the "love your neighbor" command seriously and you help everyone you possibly can.
Someone needs you today."
Anonymous
 

 

13 comments:

  1. How wonderful! This sounds like a great place.You are making a HUGE difference in their lives, and are in a position to really make them feel worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it is your calling. Your caring and loving attitude are the ingredients that are perfect for this job. I hope you continue to enjoy this new job. God Bless.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we need a change, sounds like a fitting one for you. My mum has worked with the elderly for over 25 years now. She's listened to so many life stories - from those who can remember. I can sense a similar virtue in you, especially with your desire to help people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was meant for you Carla. This is the perfect job. You probably get more out of the day than they do with how sweet and loving your heart is. Dementia and Alzheimers are both hideous diseases and I hope they find a cure for this some day soon. I bet it is heartbreaking to see them slipping away and how frustrated they become to try and share with you. God put you in the right place and you are perfect for this job. I am so happy for you. You are making a great difference in their lives.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to your blog, and am blessed by reading this post. My Grandpa had Alzheimers, so this touches my heart. How wonderful to work in a field that uses your gifts and passions. God is good, is He not? Sometimes we think our lives have no purpose...then God opens doors for us that show us He had plans all along....if we would just trust Him, and His timing. We might wait for years for Him to answer our prayers, yet in that time of waiting, we grow in our relationship with Him, and our understanding of the mission field we will be working in. God Bless You. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so lucky to have such a caring companion as yourself! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new job. I'm sure you're perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, this is wonderful.
    Alzheimer's / Dementia runs in my family and it is the most cruel disease.
    Well done to you for taking time to care and show compassion.
    I just know that all those you meet, and help, will be so grateful.
    God bless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you. It sounds like a perfect fit and a wonderful program.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds as though that is just perfect for you. You must have a great deal of job satisfaction by the sounds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound like a very loving and caring person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a perfect fit for you. That program is so important to our community - I know it means a lot to the people who participate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can only imagine the joy you bring to the participants!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!