About The River

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Moon Flower


 A new plant for me this year has caused some discussion.
My friend Kris at Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies
gifted me some seeds a couple years ago. This spring I planted some of the seeds, I did not have a spot in the garden in years past.


Moon Flower
Moon Flower bloom in the evening. 

So what is all the discussion about?
It ends up the Moon Flower is highly poisonous.
Read the below article.

I warned my family about the Moon Flower. I really did not have to worry because our family is not real big on eating flowers or greens with out asking if it is safe to do so. At this time I will give out the big shout out "Moon Flowers are poisonous!" In fact they have a nick name the devil's trumpet. So do read up on the moon flower before deciding to plant in your garden.

I like the moon flower and I have plans to plant it again in the 2020 season in a new place in the garden so we can enjoy the beauty even more in the evenings.

My neighbor purchased a purple moon flower at Winter Greenhouse

How about you? Have you heard about the moon flower?


15 comments:

  1. It's a pretty flower but I don't think I'll be finding space for it in my garden with regular visits from Grandkids and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, It's beauty is to lure you in...nasty little pretty thing. I had never heard that about them...but I do not eat flower either. I had some lavender spread on toast once..aawwkkk, won't be eating that again. LOL. Glad you warned everyone. Blessings to you, xoxo, Suysie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the Moonflowers three posts ago! It was on the last day of August. What a coincidence! But I did not know they are poisonous! The Devil's Trumpet, a very cool name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to delete my comment because I saw that you'd already posted a link to the article about the dangers of the Moon Plant. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  5. The moon flower is pretty but I don't think I would plant it in my garden. We have floods here sometime in the spring and I wouldn't want the seeds to be transported somewhere else. There so many other pretty flowers that I could replace it with. For me, it's not worth the risk.

    Hard to believe September is already here. Enjoy.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have moon flowers in my garden. We plant them along with morning glories on the same wall of my garage. They climb up the trellis and bloom at alternate ends of the day. I love them, but I never knew they were poisonous. We're not big plant or flower eaters here, either. But good to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this flower is intriguing. Funny how they only come out at night and are poisonous. Good to know.
    They are pretty.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, that flower is gorgeous!! Such a strange flower, but it takes all kinds, right?! :-) Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they are so lovely! :-) Hope you are having a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it's a beautiful plant and so unique in its blooming time. Thomas Edison's wife, Mina, had a garden at their Florida estate designed to be observed both night and day. It has a sweet little reflecting pond filled with waterlilies, and the pond is surrounded with Bougainvillea, Jasmine, and various white flowers, including Moon Flowers. We didn't see it at night, but I can imagine it by the light of the moon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting post about this flower.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I had heard about it. I have a blog friend who has something that only blooms at night but I thought it was a cactus. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know they were poisonous - a beautiful bloom though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you were able to plant them! I would definitely need to try a different area for them if I were to plant them again also. I remember how they took over my lattice!
    Quite interesting about how toxic it is.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!