About The River

Friday, February 26, 2021

Thawing Out

 

Hello Friends,

We are officially thawing out. Our cold weather started the week of February 8th and continued until February 20th.  Our lowest temperature was NEGATIVE 30 and that was the temperature, not adding the wind. My big worry was that our chickens would struggle during this cold spell. 

They were brave Wisconsin Hens!! They took the challenge of the cold weather and blessed us with eggs each and every day.


 We have five hens, Lolly, Polly, Molly, Dolly and Holly.

If you guessed that big egg was a double yoke, you guessed right.

Quiche has been a favorite meal for my husband and I, we have been on a quiche kick around here.

Bacon and Onion Quiche

1/2 pound of bacon

5 large eggs

1 cup heavy cream

1 medium onion

1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper

8 ounces of Gruyere Cheese shredded (about 2 cups)  

* NOTE* we will substitute 1/2 cup of Swiss and 1/2 cup of Munster if we do not have Gruyere available

1 unbaked pie crust ~ 9 inch

*NOTE* when making pie, I will make extra crusts to freeze. When we get a taste for quiche, we  can take a pie crust right out of the freezer, let it sit for an hour or two and it is ready.

 


 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Arrange the bacon on a sheet pan, bake, drain, roughly chop and set aside.

Chop your onion.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream until combined and smooth. Stir in the bacon, onion, white pepper and cheese. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.

Transfer to the oven, bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let cool for 15 minutes to allow the eggs to set.

Slice and serve warm.

Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. We enjoy left over quiche just as much, it is easy to reheat and the flavors have blended more. Yum! Yum!


 My friend Kathy shared this poem with me.

I officially have spring fever! How about you?

Have a Happy Weekend!

  ♥

Carla

22 comments:

  1. Love your chickens names. Glad they produce so many eggs, as that quiche looks delicious. I have spring fever too, and I've already got out my Easter dΓ©cor. It will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, your quiche sounds delicious, and I'm glad your Hens laid eggs for you to make them. I like the names of your Hens. ; ) I used to eat an asparagus quiche at a little eatery where I used to live. It was Yummy. Oh, I love that poem that your friend shared with you. It's so cold there, and I can see why you long for Spring. We had our second snowfall here and it's still cold, but in the 20's and 30's. I often wonder how one lives below zero, oh my. Bundle up, dear friend.

    Have a restful weekend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at that poem! I'm glad that kind of climate is an abstraction to me! Those who can take that kind of cold are hardy folk and the rest of the country depends greatly on our northern tier. I have spring fever, but it seems to be skipping spring and going right to summer, with a high of almost 80 today. And 35 degrees this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for your Wisconsin Hens!!!!!!!

    Living in such a place, shows your Stamina, Fortitude and Courage!!!!!!

    Oh my does that Quiche ever sound goooood!!!!!

    Since I have to eat Gluten Free, and my husband doesn't mind some G/F items, we could use frozen G/F pie crusts. Yesssssss!!!!

    A different idea for dinner! We do get into a rut, with dinner ideas. And always are looking for new ones. Thank you!!!!!!

    πŸ“• πŸ“— πŸ“š πŸ“™ πŸ“˜

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quiche looks delicious. You must have a heated hen house!! Or maybe one with solar windows...ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo for your brave little hens. Wow! that big egg must have hurt. I love quiche and I make cheese and bacon, salmon and cheese, broccoli and cheese once in a while. I too freeze my pie crust and thaw the as needed. It makes preparing a good meal real quick and easy.

    Wow! Wow! Minus 30 F. would be -34 C for us. I can't believe that it gets that cold in Wisconsin. I can't complain about the winter too much this year as we've had a rather easy winter so far, That could change... Today is -9 ℃ or 15.8 ℉. and sunny. there are puddles on the road. Yesterday was very windy and it felt cold.

    I've got spring fever also. 22 days to official spring. Hang in there.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the refrigerator quote. So love quiche, but hubby hates them...so I dony=t get to make them very often, Great recipe. Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I have spring fever, too, and I'm not as north or as snow bound or cold as you are. And your brave hens are still providing food and comfort for you. Way to go, D H L M P!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL on that great Wisconsin poem!!! We have been on a quiche kick too. I will try your recipe with the gruyere cheese. Sounds delish. We are going into the 50's this weekend. Wooo Hooo heat wave for all of us! Have a great weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring fever is definitely catching at our house! I have to keep reminding myself it's still February. *sigh* But it's much nicer on my morning walks, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have it, too! The rain is melting all the snow here, yay. And Ps...that quiche looks amazing. Off to pin that recipe. Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your hens names! I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be minus 30. We thought it was bad here at 11 degrees for 5 nights in a row and having to let faucets drip. How do you keep your pipes from freezing at that temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I could cope with those temps but glad your chickens can lol. Very apt poem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. -30....OMG! So glad you hens made it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute poem!!! glad you all are thawing out and happy your chickens survived. The quiche looks delicious....and healthy! Our snow storm here in Texas was so bad....what would we do if we had temps like Wisconsin? I know one thing...we at this house would be Better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe how cold your part of the world is. We are already enjoying spring and beautifully sunny skies. I won't mention that I was wearing a t-shirt for during the warmest hours today, don't want to seem rude.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol... The Wisconsin Poem is so true!!
    Your quiche sounds absolutely delicious.
    Glad the hens made it through the cold snap. Hopefully they will be enjoying bugs and green things soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me at Gruyere! YUMMY! I love quiche, too. I should surprise my family and cook this next weekend for brunch. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mercy that quiche looks good. I remember that kind of weather from all the years I lived in and around Chicago. No thank you. It was 83 degrees here yesterday, and 72 today. It's lovely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to make several quiche for a baby shower if Im hosting or a wedding shower at the house. :) Hooray for hens

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy Quiche ... I could just eat some :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I felt sure I'd commented on your lovely looking quiche?
    Perhaps I've now commented twice :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!