About The River

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

It is the last week of May and it is the Hodgepodge!

 

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday! That means is it time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

From this Side of the Pond

 1. We're approaching Memorial Day Weekend in the US of A...will you mark this in some way? If so tell us how. According to a list found here some things you might do in honor of Memorial Day would be-shop in a Veteran owned business, learn to play a patriotic song, watch the Memorial Day concert, take a virtual tour of the White House, write a letter to a soldier or a soldier's family, fly a flag, attend a Memorial Day parade, donate flowers for a soldier's grave, put together a care package for a soldier, and take a moment of silence at 3 PM (the National Moment of Remembrance)....of the ideas mentioned are there any you will try? 

We will attend the Rice Lake Memorial Day Ceremony. We will have our flag flying proudly, as we say THANK YOU, to our military.

 

Our Sam... Thank you Sam!!


 

 2. What's something recently that made you 'come to attention'? 

A young man on a bicycle zipped right in front of me while I was driving our car. Thank goodness, I was just accelerating.

 3. In what area of your life do you need to 'soldier on'? 

Not to let current events worry me.

 4. As a long weekend approaches and summer draws near, what's a favorite food from your childhood you think about adding to the menu? 

Watermelon.. the watermelon I grew up with, had seeds. I loved to spit the seeds out during a picnic. And maybe have a seed spitting fight with my sister. 

 5. Your favorite patriotic movie? 

The Longest Day

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

~ May 31st is our Anniversary ~

This photo is from one of our many anniversary adventures. Shortly after taking this photo, I happen to have one leg fall into a deep hole created by some animal. Thank goodness I did not break my leg... and all the while, me falling one leg in a hole, my husband laughing and me laughing as he pulls me out of the hole.. it is a blessing to spend my days with my best friend.

My Love! 




22 comments:

  1. Aw what a great image of you two!
    I may borrow the questions . We just bought a new flag. we like to watch the changing of the guard movie on these days. Such precision! My mom, come to think of it was very patriotic. Red and white petunias and little blue flowers. Summer foods :corn on the cob. the best kind. The kind they just picked out back. And slush . Not on the best diet, but I love a good slush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary a wee bit early. I will have to check out that movie. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you both have a wonderful anniversary, and do something fun together. Sam is so brave and handsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sam!! And big hugs to his brave and supportive mama this holiday weekend. And I love your anniversary story. Laughter is the best bond. I wish you another wonderful year with your best friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Early Happy Anniversary. It is so good to see happy couples, real friends. I like your picnic food choice, too. Watermelon! There is just nothing like ice cold watermelon. Yes, the old-fashioned kind with seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like the seeded watermelons had more flavor, but maybe that's my imagination. Thank you to your son for his service. Have a wonderful weekend and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! You are a lovely couple! Watermelon is my fav too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always worry when there are cyclist on the road when I'm driving. I'm glad that he didn't got hit.

    Happy Anniversary on the 31st... I had to laugh at the seed spitting contest. I hope that you have a happy long weekend. We just celebrated ours last weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary on the 31st! Cute picture and funny story.
    Thankful for your son's willingness and ability to serve our country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, y'all are the cutest! We are participating in a boat parade for Memorial Day. Love that picture of Sam. Have a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So thankful for your sweet Sam and all the other brave young men and women that fill those important tasks of keeping us save and free. May you all have a wonderful holiday weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this kissing photo! But what happened next, is not a happy matter. -grin- So good you did not break your ankle though.

    And Happy Anniversary!

    Plus Happy Memorial Day! Yes, remember what the Day actually is. Not just the beginning of summer, or a day to BBQ, or etc.

    REMEMBER!!!!

    Gentle hugs...
    🔔 😊 🔔

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a sweet photo of the two of you! Happy Anniversary! We met in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww what a sweet picture! And happy anniversary to you both! I'm so glad you did not break your leg when you fell into the hole. Samuel is so cute. What a smile! We will ALL be together on Memorial Day and we will celebrate our Erica's birthday (30th) as we always do on that holiday. Chad has a first cousin once removed who lost his life in Vietnam at the age of 21. He is buried in Willison, SC and we have been to his grave once, but I hope to go again sometime this weekend. We fly Old Glory 24/7/365 at our house. Before we eat on Monday we will watch a Memorial Day video honoring those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. We thank God for each and every one of them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You two lovebirds are so cute. I'm glad you didn't break your leg too! I remember spitting out watermelon seeds too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like a beautiful plan for Memorial Day. Wow, people just don't think! We were so close to an accident yesterday. A woman crossed three lanes doing a u-turn on the freeway. I remember watermelon too! The photo is so precious.
    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a nice and pleasant Memorial Day, Carla. Those legos all lined up are just right for the day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary, dear friend. I love this photo of the two of you. So sweet and in love. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy anniversary and congratulations!!! Agree, in regards to news. My favorite patriotic movie is the Darkest Hour, because Churchill withstood Hitler alone for what seems like eternity given what was happening and ultimately saving Western civilization until we entered, but that is not an American themed movie. I like it because it is mostly thought process and debate and not extremely visually violent so I can watch it. I remember liking the Patriot, but not watching the end, so I don't know about that one either. So many I have not sat through the entire movie. My favorite patriotic show of all time is Magnum and I watched it only in reruns because my dad wouldn't let us watch it. Now, I think it would like it and not realized what he missed. My dad served in the air force and his brother in the navy and my great Uncle was in WWII and my dear friend and neighbor Charlie, gone now for quite some years, survived D day and made it to the 50th service at Normandy. Your boys are in my prayers. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like that photograph of the two of you.
    Happy Anniversary Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary! Hope you had an adventure for your anniversary this year also!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belated anniversary wishes! You two look adorable together, such a great photo.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!