About The River

Monday, August 16, 2021

Book Review ~ Life in the Studio ~ Inspiration and Lessons on Creativity ~ Frances Palmer

 

 

I recently read,  Life in the Studio ~ Inspiration and Lessons on Creativity by Frances Palmer. 

 

Click here to visit Frances Palmer's website. 

Below is some of the information shared at her website.

ABOUT THE ARTIST

I have been making ceramics since 1987. I was trained as an art historian, yet have always made work with my hands. First as a printmaker and now as a potter and gardener, I love the process of changing ideas into form. I don't make or grow things to hold onto them, but rather to send them out into the world for others to live with and enjoy. My handmade ceramics are functional art – dishware or vases that can be used on a daily basis. Each piece, no matter how large or small, is considered and individual.

I am honored and happy to think that people across the USA are using my work when they gather in friendship to share a meal and good times.  

LIFE IN THE STUDIO: INSPIRATION AND LESSONS ON CREATIVITY
Release date: October 6, 2020

To step into potter Frances Palmer’s world is to be surrounded by the trappings of a life that has been intentionally—and painstakingly—built to maximize creativity. A light-filled, airy studio in which to make her pottery, with a corner always at the ready for her daily photo shoots. Cutting gardens overflowing with flowers to be snipped as inspiration strikes. Shelves of cookbooks to peruse as she plans the menu of her next dinner party, and museum catalogs and art books to pore over when it’s time to imagine a new vessel. After 30 years as an artist and entrepreneur, Palmer has learned how to cultivate a life that brings out her best. Those years have been at once rewarding and challenging, fruitful and fraught, and through it all, she has discovered the things that matter most: determination, routine, prioritization, perseverance, and perspective. She has distilled these hard-won lessons, and more, into her debut book, a manual for current and aspiring creatives.

I enjoyed the honesty of Frances. She has tragedy in her life. She shares it with us openly and how it shaped her as the person she is today.

She shares her art, garden, favorite recipes and more with us. I am planning to try several of the recipes she shared. I also loved how she gave credit to her husband with helping her get to the place she is today with her work. 

"Each day needs to be experienced and not taken for granted. It requires determination to be alive, to confront challenges and be present. I remember distinctly finding this quote from Benjamin Franklin not long after my brother's death. "Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of." It has remained in my mind ever since, as I strive to grasp every moment, forge ahead, and do my best."

Frances Palmer

 


15 comments:

  1. I have never heard of her, but she sounds like a wonderful and strong woman. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, her pottery is extremely expensive. I could never justify charging those outrageous prices for my pottery. I've made pottery after taking a course and it's really only made of clay and glaze and fired in a kiln. Creativity is a gift from God and some have more creativity than others. As farmers, we work our buts off from morning till after dark daily in all kind of weather and circumstances and the machinery is so expensive yet the farmers are selling their necessary products very cheap and people complain.

    I guess I have to look at it in the light of the everyday wage earner who cannot afford such expensive items.

    Your flowers arrangements are even more beautiful and no expensive containers.
    I probably don't get the full picture but as I age, I try to see how Jesus would see it.
    I hope you are getting good weather still.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is a great quote and we must all forge forward in whatever life is serving up. Have a great week my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a very inspiring book. I checked our her website. Thank you for sharing. Will you share the recipes when you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely book. You did an excellent book review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas I dont have time to read, but sounds interesting. Would love to see some of your pottery in future posts. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post and a lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to keep the moment on the water with my husband in my head today . it was a quiet water day. It made me fee1 happy quiet

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you enjoyed this book, Carla. I haven't read in a long time because my eyes start to get tired after awhile, but it's good that you read as long as you can. The Frances Palmer quote is nice, I appreciated reading that this morning.

    Have a sweet day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos Carla! The book must be grand with your wonderful review (blog)!
    PS...I had to laugh at your brown boobie comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are these photos some of your flower subscriptions? The arrangements and photos are breathtaking! I'm happy you liked the book. Frances's time management and determination truly inspire me. I also like what she wrote about her friends. She is blessed with a wonderful support system!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She sounds very inspirational. Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds a good book.
    I think your two photographs here are fabulous.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fascinating lady and a riveting read! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!