About The River

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

How To Prepare The Garden For Storms

 

Hail from a Summer Storm

Hello Friends,

Today I am sharing the article I wrote for the July issue of the Cameron Chronicle 

"The Little Paper With Personality." 

 

How To Prepare The Garden For Storms

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


Strong storms at this time of year can cause damage to our gardens. Use the following tips to prepare your garden for seasonal storms.


If you have hanging plants or baskets take them down. They could flip in the wind and crash to the ground.


Reinforce your garden fixtures. This includes the stakes you use for taller plants.


Add a layer of mulch around plants to help during heavy rain. The mulch will protect the soil from washing away.


A few jobs to do in July..

Keep weeding!

Continue to deadhead flowers as they go over. This will result in a second flowering.

Tie in or support tall plants such as tomatoes.


But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.”

President T. Jefferson 1811


12 comments:

  1. Great advice, especially considering we have been getting so many strong summer storms with high winds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. ❤️ We are pining for our fall garden because our first growing season is done. 3/4 of the year it is nice and we can have two gardens, but summers are so brutal, that it is hard to imagine green again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. I am taking care of a friends garden of flowers and boy oh boy it is a big job. It took me over an hour to water her front and back gardens. Then dead heading on top of that. Plus it is 90 degrees today and tomorrow. I love the flowers but I forgot how much work they can be. Hope your pretty gardens are doing well. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your local newspaper article.
    It's all good advice but we never know what Mother Nature can give us weather-wise.
    The forces of nature is unpredictable.
    I hope that you have a sweet summer.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's storming here right now, Carla!! It's the third one this week. I need to take your tips into consideration, because my garden is taking a beating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is excellent advice. Wow on the hail in the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips to know on how to prepare the garden for storms. I was just thinking of that, as last year we had rain in the Fall. I like the quote you shared at the end, as I am a young gardener also and learning a lot. I love your photo of the pot of red flowers with the hail. It's very pretty. I always enjoy your posts, Carla. They really are some of my favorites in this blog land. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for those who have gardens. We now just have some flowers in pots.

    🌼🌱🌼

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advise. I deadhead my flowers all of the time, especially my geraniums. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great tips! I dead head my geraniums a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! And as we learned in our last storm, moved those potted plants to a more secure location!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!