About The River

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

How to Use Newspaper to Make a Pot

 

I have early Spring Fever! The above photo is from 2020 when I forced some Spring bulbs. Today we are bracing for a BIG snow storm. The weather people are saying we could receive HUGE amounts of snow. I will keep you updated. In the mean time I will share the February article I wrote for the Cameron Chronicle, "The Little Paper With Personality."

 

How to Use Newspaper to Make a Pot

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


Making pots out of newspaper is an affordable way to get a jump start on your seed starting.

Save money and recycle your old newspaper by making newspaper pots.


Gather Supplies

Stack of newspaper.

Pair of scissors.

A 6 ounce can (the kind that tomato paste usually come in).


Cut the Newspaper

Grab two sheets of newspaper so you have a foursheet stack. Cut the newspaper into thirds, lengthwise, giving you three long strips.


Roll your Newspaper

On the end closest to you, lay the can on its side across the strip of newspaper. Leave about 1 inch hanging off the end of the can. Roll the can along the newspaper until its loosely wrapped all the way around. Fold the edges of the newspaper down over the can, and work your way around in a circle until the edges are folded firmly. They don’t have to be perfect, you can just smash the paper down with your fingers. It is fine if there is a small hole where the fold meets in the middle – that provides extra drainage.

Flip the can over so the folded edges are now on the bottom. Press the can down on the folds to really crease the edges against the bottom of the can.

Slide the can out and you have got a thrifty seedling pot!


Do not worry if it seems like the pot is flimsy or unraveling, especially at the bottom. Once filled with seed starting mix and moistened, the pot is surprising sturdy and holds it’s shape well.


The benefit of making recycled newspaper seed starters is that you can transplant your seedlings right into the garden, paper pot and all, and the newspaper will decompose naturally in the soil.


Have fun making your newspaper pots. Until next time happy gardening!

 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, blooms popping out all over here too. I used to do the cans like that for flowers. I now take scrapbook paper and do it with cans now. I will attach three different sizes together and they make the best pen holder for your desk. I use a tuna can as the shortest can for paperclips, or tacks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla for the fun tip. When I started planting my own seeds in the house years ago and was too poor or thrifty to buy pots, I made my own newspaper pots to start my seeds.
    They worked great.

    I hope you don't get too much snow. We still have lot but it's so mild, the snow is melting and I saw some daffodils peeking out of the snow. Spring is on the way.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you do okay during the storm. We have storms coming on Thursday. Thank you for sharing your article. That sounds like a great way to start seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How unusual, I have never heard of such a thing. It will be fun to try. You are like a gardening encyclopedia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome featured article. And being that you don't have to remove the seedlings is fantastic. Keeps them from going into shock. But, with online news, does anyone buy newspapers anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always write the best articles to help people with their gardening, Carla. And I love this photo of the red tulip against the white snow. Your photos always make me smile, there's just something about them. Please stay safe and warm when the big snow storm comes your way. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow too, but only snow showers, which usually come and go. The things I'm learning in the mountains, and the things I learn from you. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea of starting them and then being able to put them right into the ground!! I'm off to pin this one for keeps!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for seed starting! I hope you stay safe and warm with the impeding storm. Not sure if we are getting snow or ice. UGH Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great. You are the garden fairy for sure. Happy New Week. Hope you do not get all that snow. We are getting rain and sleet. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so informative!! I hope you keep us updated on your snow storm. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. Hope you came through the storm ok. We got enough snow, probably 4", then a layer of ice on top. At least the ice crust helped keeping the blowing and drifting to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!