About The River

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

He was 6 foot 3 and it is the Hodgepodge

 

Did you know George was 6 foot 3?

 The above photo was taken on a past trip to Mount Rushmore National Park.

 

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge!

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

 

 1. What do you find is the most boring part of your life at the moment? 

Nothing boring going on here in my neck of the woods. We are bracing for a HUGE snowstorm and have spring on the mind all at the same time. Seed starting will soon begin and we are getting ready for that. And during any other free time I am working on a T-shirt quilt.

2. February 22nd is George Washington's birthday. You'll find his face on the US $1 bill. What's the last thing you bought for roughly $1.00? (.94 €/ .83 £) 

A current US postage stamp.  


George, Tom, Teddy and Abe keeping watch.


3. Is it ever okay to tell a 'little white lie'? Explain. 

 While working with Daybreak, Daybreak is a daytime social program for adults living with early-stage dementia. We did have to tell  a "little white lie" every once in awhile while in conversation with those who had early - stage dementia. Yes, I feel sometimes it is alright to tell a "little white lie".

4. What's the last thing you 'chopped'? Cherry pie, chocolate covered cherries, a bowl of cherries, cherry vanilla ice cream, maraschino cherries, a cherry lifesaver...your favorite cherry flavored something? 

A fresh cherry turnover from the Bloomer Bakery. YUM!

5. Describe yourself with three words using your first, middle, and last initials.  

C ~ caring

J ~ joyful

T ~ thoughtful 

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 He’s the Face of the Nation in More Ways Than One
Only Washington and Abraham Lincoln are featured on both a U.S. coin and bill currently in circulation. While a likeness of Lincoln adorns the penny and five-dollar bill, Washington is honored with the quarter and the $1 bill. Washington was also featured on the country’s first postage stamps. He has appeared on more issues than all the other presidents combined have.

20 comments:

  1. Cherry turnovers--yum! Now you have me hungry. Spring will appear soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your answers. I cannot wait to see that quilt done. Happy Ash Wednesday. Seems like it was just Christmas and now it is Lent beginning. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great answers. A cherry turnover sounds delicious but I'm fasting on Ash Wednesday. lol...
    The last cherries I cut were in November while making my fruit cake.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on that quilt.
    As for being bored, it's nearly impossible as the days go by so fast, I wish the days were longer. There never seem to be enough time to do every thing I want to do.

    I hope you don't get too much snow. Spring is coming as I saw some daffodils poking out of the snow in the back of the house, by the corner. We still have tons of snow.
    Take care, hugs.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know so much of this; now I have learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand your point of view about having had to tell "little white lies" to those with early-stage dementia. Unfortunately, my staff tell me "little white lies" a lot of the time too and I don't think in my case it's appropriate.

    By the way, thanks for the interesting facts about George Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well being a banker the $2 dollar bill is still being made. It has Jefferson on it and he is also on the nickel. I do agree that sometimes you do need to tell a white lie. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe in the coming snowstorm and I hope spring and planting season come on time! Mmmm I love cherry turnovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of good info in this post! Yum...cherry turnover! I would love to see Mt. Rushmore one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just telling someone that when we visited my mom and the nursing home we would always stop and chat with the residents. We knew their names and stories, but for some of them, each meeting was brand new...and we never wanted to hurt their feelings, so it was a brand new introduction for us as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos and info, too. Wonderful words about yourself! Now let's have a cherry turnover fresh from the bakery. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're definitely caring, joyful and thoughtful and yes when dealing with people with dementia white lies are often needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not know that he was 6'3". I do love Mt. Rushmore and hope to visit again at some point. Great answer on the stamp. I agree with you on having to tell them a white lie from time to time. Yep....that is you with your initials! Enjoyed your random. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great photo of George at Mount Rushmore. Can you believe the price of stamps going up all the time? The cherry turnover sounds Yummy. Cherries are my favorite fruit, and don't buy them that often cause they're expensive at the stores. Fun post, Carla. Your answers are always short and sincere, which is the best kind. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been very cold here too, was -12 here this morning! The windchill made it much colder than that. Yes, please come soon spring! I love the picture you took of George Washington, this is a place I've never visited, but would love to! I haven't started seeds yet. Winter is showing no signs of abating, so I think I will wait until March. Hopefully no more below zero weather! Love your acronym for your name, very fun! And I do love cherries! I chopped up ingredients for a salad today. I love chocolate and cherries in a dessert too. Have a blessed day dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not know George Washington was that tall. That surprised me! I think that was a perfect description of you with your initials <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comes as a surprise to me that GW would be that tall. Just assumed he would be shorter. I love Mt. Rushmore. It is very fascinating to me. It most definitely is sometimes best to change the truth of some things when dealing with those who have dementia. I had to do this with my dad a few times to keep from causing him pain. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no idea that GW was so tall! Or if I did know, I had forgotten, haha. The part about telling a little white lie reminded me of one of my favorite lines from a poem written by my favorite poet, Emily Dickinson: "Tell all the truth but tell it slant -- / Success in circuit lies --"
    She knew how to get right to the point! And I like cherry ANYTHING! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had a cherry turnover with my hot tea right now : ) It's almost 80 degrees here today. No snow, but plenty of pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am drowning in dusting that I can at least call 'not interesting'. We are experiencing a strange heat wave and with the massive construction going on next door, the dust sets back in as soon as I remove it. But I am still fighting!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by to wish you a happy month of March :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!