About The River

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Christmas Poinsettia

 

Merry Christmas from my garden to your garden. ♥


Hello Friends,

Today I am sharing the December article I wrote for our village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle, The Little Paper with Personality.

 

 

Christmas Poinsettia

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could

Merry Christmas from The Little Garden That Could.

How many of you get excited when you see that lovely red and green plant at the supermarket? Oh, I just must have a poinsettia. We bring it home all lovely, only to struggle to keep it alive. Here are a few tips.

Don’t leave your plant in the car. Bring it home wrapped up cozy in paper or a plastic bag.

Poinsettia like a bright spot, but not direct sunlight.

Used to drought, poinsettia hate being over-watered so don’t leave them sitting in water, but instead let the soil dry out a little before watering again (usually every 3-4 days).

A few more jobs for the month of December.

Organize your seed bin. Sort out any leftover or half empty seed packets. Make an inventory of the seeds you will need to purchase.

Check summer flowering bulbs and tubers that are being stored over winter. If any show signs of mold or rot, remove the affected one or separate to prevent it spreading.

Check stored squash, pumpkins, and apples. If any signs of mold or rot, remove to prevent it from spreading.


Merry Christmas


"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?" – Bob Hope


13 comments:

  1. Hope your Christmas was fabulous. I know you had to be so grateful to have Sam home this year. Hugs and have a great week. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips, Carla. I usually have several Poinsettias for Christmas but this year, for the first time, I didn't get any. I did miss them. They are such a cheery plant at this time of year.

    Hard to believe but it's already time to look at the see catalogues. I have several seed packets in mind to purchase this year already.

    Happy New Year.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a nice article. I agree with Bob Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and sending Blessings to you in the New Year. Love, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts and tips. Holiday Blessings to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips on the poinsettia. It's such a beautiful plant, and I wanted to get one this Christmas, but just never did. The red ones are my favorite. I love Bob Hope's quote. What a sweet little ornament you have shared here.

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article. I received two poinsettias for Christmas. One is still beautiful and the other bit the dust. Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poinsettias are a wonderful Christmas plant.

    Taking the opportunity to wish you and your family a happy and healthy 2024.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't get any poinsettias this year since we were away so much. My sister had a houseful of gorgeous plants that we enjoyed. Happy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a lovely Christmas with a full nest!! I just saw someone in my neighborhood trying to give away their very lovely poinsettia. No takers so far...Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a poinsettia as I always was told they were poisonous to cats. But, now I am not sure if that's true. do you know?

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!