About The River

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Book Review ~ The Horse and His Boy

The Horse and His Boy 
The Chronicles of Narnia

C.S. Lewis

The Horse and His Boy is the third book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

Just when the boy Shasta is about to be sold into slavery, he makes a surprising friend ~ a talking horse! The two decide to run away north, to the land of Narnia. On the way they meet two other travelers as unusual as themselves. When they discover an evil plot to invade and conquer Narnia, the four companions' escape to freedom becomes a race against time and peril to save themselves and everything they have come to love.

Our favorite lesson of this book is how Aslan has been in control of Shasta's whole life.

Aslan is a picture of Jesus, and as Jesus become a man to bring us to the Father.

The Horse and His Boy helped us better understand God and His working in our life.

"I do not call you unfortunate," said the Large Voice.
"Don't you think it was bad luck to meet so many lions?" said Shasta.
"There was only one lion," said the Voice.
"What on earth do you mean? I've just told you there were at least two the first night, and-"
"There was only one: but he was swift of foot."
"How do you know?"
"I was the lion." And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothing, the Voice continued.
"I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."

"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"
"It was I."
"But what for?"
"Child," said the Voice, " I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
 



C.S. Lewis dedicated The Horse and His Boy to David and Douglas Gresham.
And that is another story.

 

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I wish my boys were still little and I could read them stories at bedtime. This would be one I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this sounds like a good book! I miss reading to my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still LOVE the Chronicles of Narnia and read them to our children. He confused me with the end of 'The Last Battle,' which I disagreed with, but loved all the others and love Lewis in general. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter read the whole Narnia series when she was younger (she's 25 now). Think I'll go give her a pop quiz and see how well she remembers it. My favorite C. S. Lewis book is 'Mere Christianity'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post reminds me that I have always wanted to reread the Chronicles...as a adult again. I loved those stories, and the author is amazing.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that exerpt sounds So interesting...I wouldn't mind reading that series. I read one of his series or books long ago and enjoyed it. Thanks for the thumbs up on the Lincoln book. If I can tear myself away from my apps long enough, I'll get reading!

    Have a great day...the weather could be perfect this morning for a 'Wind in the Willows' day. Warm but overshadowed by rain clouds and windy. Like mole, I'll enjoy it while I can before the storm hits. I love that book...books. btw, we are watching 'Little Men' via netflix and it is sooooo enjoyable. About Mrs. Jo Bauer and Plumfield orphanage for boys. Thumbs up for it! Have you watched the 'Avonlea' series? Its along those continuing homey fun stories type of movies. Both produced in Canada and far wholesomer than what Hollywood has for children here. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the whole series of Narnia and love all the lessons and analogies in them. The movies are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read all of these books a few years ago and was surprised at how much I had forgotten over the years. I could read them all again now...they are wonderful! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!