About The River

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I Can Not Stop The Clock ~ It is the Hodgepodge

Wishing for Sun...several cloudy days here...ready for sun!

It is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.






 

1. This is the last Hodgepodge in April. Share something you learned this month. 
 
April has been a busy month for our family.
My lesson of this month...is letting my son drive off by himself. 
Yippee!
Yes, Sam passed his drivers test.
Now mom has to pass the " Do not worry so, when he drives off by himself " test.
 
 
2.  It's National Poetry Month, and we all know you can't escape an April Hodgepodge without a little poetry. Keeping the first line as is, change the rest of the wording in this familiar rhyme to make it your own - 'Hickory Dickory Dock...
 
I Can Not Stop The Clock
 
 
3. What were one or two rules in the home you grew up in? Growing up, did you feel your parents were strict? Looking back do you still see it that way? 
 
One of the rules I can remember that would get me so upset this time of year...my sister and I could not wear shorts to school. We would get so upset about it. And yes, we would be naughty and change into shorts at school.
I did feel my parents were strict, but looking back, no I do not see it that way.
I am thankful for the way my parents set rules. I see the importance today.
 
 
4. Tell us about a kitchen or cooking disaster or mishap you've experienced. Do you have many from which to choose? 
 
 Lemon Meringue Pie
My disaster was putting the meringue on a cooled down lemon filling.
Oh the meringue looked lovely, but when I cut into the pie, it was all water!

I was so mad!
I redeemed myself and made another pie the next day.

5. Plant a kiss, plant doubt, plant a tree, plant yourself somewhere...which on the list have you most recently planted? 
 
I planted myself at Miller Park this past week. We went to a Milwaukee Brewer Game. 
 
 6. What's your most worn item of clothing this time of year? Are you tired of it?
 
 
 My winter coat!
And no, I can not put it away because as you can see from the photo above anything is possible in Wisconsin!

7. I'm wrapping up the A-Z Blog Challenge this month and our Hodgepodge lands on letter W. What's one word beginning with W that describes you in some way? How about a word to describe your home, also beginning with W?
 
I asked my husband what word beginning with W describes me and he answered Welcoming.
And I would say the same about our home, Warm and Welcoming.
 
 
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
 
 
 

18 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I hope that the spring sunshine warms your corner of the world soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hickory Dickory Dock
    someone used a sock
    to try and stop the clock.
    They should have tried a rock.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got SNOW here yesterday, the latest I can
    Ever remember! I'm ready for Spring and warmth now! Time
    To put the coats away indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had sleet and hailstones this week mixed in with sunshine. The weather needs to get its act together! Congratualations to your son. I don't think we ever stop worrying about our kids and yes when we become parents ourselves we begin to see our own parents' actions differently. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the wisdom of Julia. And she could cook too....:)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your son getting his driver's license. Your winter coat, wow! Hope your weather warms up soon. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our heat is still on here, too. No snow, thankfully, but like you, last year we did have some very late in the spring. If you ever pass that "don't worry test", send me study guide. The driving thing makes me soo nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a point at which a lemon meringue pie takes two people. The one keeps stirring the filling on the stove while the other one is finishing up beating the meringue. This year Mr. C. was called upon to stir the filling. Until I grow another set of hands, I don't know how one can do it and get it just right. You'd think that lemon meringue would be easy, but it is tricky! I'd rather make a two-crust pie.

    I'm so glad about Sam's driver's license. It gives him some freedom and gives YOU some freedom. Nice for everyone. There will come a time soon when he will no longer be so eager to run errands that involve the car, thought. LOL

    W - is for Carla's 'welcoming' home. It really is, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to participating in the A to Z Blog Challenge. I participated last year but just did not have the energy to do it this year. Maybe next year! Thanks for stopping by my blog page. To answer your question, I never thought about running for president. SWMBO would shoot me if I did. She so enjoys having me home. All the best to you and yours by the river.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, we had a very small snow flurry today, and the temperature tonight will be below freezing. Can you believe it will be May soon! Somebody tell the weather please ...

    Well done to Sam on passing his driving test.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcoming...that's a wonderful way to live your life! Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. April was busy for us too. It is scary sending them off by themselves for the first time in the car by themselves! Still not there yet but getting close!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Love the Julia Child quote. I'm praying that the "S" word will stay away--time to move on from the white stuff (will my positive thinking help?)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to show Cliff your picture from 2013. He thinks that was the winter that convinced him to find a new job :)
    Welcoming is a wonderful word to describe you!
    LOVE the Julia Child quote.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, Carla. So want to banish those winter coats downstairs!!

    Love Julia...she was humble to the end.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carla,
    I hope you see some sunshine soon too! Congrats to your son getting his Drivers License!
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ack! The winter coat! In April! Congrats to your new driver...definitely a learning curve there for us moms too : ) Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I prayed a lot during those early driving years and truthfully I still pray for them and for God to keep evil out of their way! I can't believe your still getting snow.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!