About The River

Friday, November 3, 2017

On The Road Friday ~ The Highground Veterans Memorial Park ~ part 1 ~


 In honor of  Veteran's Day, I am going to break down our visit to The Highground Veterans Memorial Park into two posts.  We visited The Highground over the Labor Day weekend.

It is the mission of The Highground to honor veterans and their families and to educate about the cost of things --- human cost.
It is the vision of The Highground to honor human courage and sacrifice wherever it is displayed, without either denying or glorifying the pain and suffering of war and of life.

The park is located 4 miles west of Neillsville, Wisconsin on Highway 10. The park is open 24/7 and is open year round.


 One area of the  park is dedicated to PTSD. 
The area is a beautiful wooded area with in the 155 acre park. 


 Nestled in the area are four miles of hiking trails.


 Along the trails are benches that can turn into a chair and table.


 Welcome
 Good Bench ~ Good Spot ~ Good Company

Fun sayings were on each bench.


The Treehouse is nestled among the four miles of hiking trails. The tree house is uniquely structured around a 170 year old green ash tree.


 The wooded area is beautiful. 
The time in the woods is peaceful. I pray the PTSD program will be successful. I do believe nature can relax and clear the mind. I know it helps me to get away and outside if I am having a difficult day.



 The trails are carpets of soft moss.
 


 I am the short one!


 We found a blackberry patch!


"We heal the past by bringing its lessons into our hopes for the future."

The Highground

 

19 comments:

  1. What a great park. Working with the vets has given me a whole new appreciation for our veterans and what they have gone through. One of my co-workers suffers from PTSD and if something drops or makes a bang of any sort you can tell he is ready to spring to action. He was on the first wave of men headed into Vietnam. Just sad.

    What a beautiful place that park provides for solace and silencing the mind.

    Thanks for sharing this. I am going to have to try to get the old boy to take a trip out there with me. Hope you have a great weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful your state has such a lovely park honoring Veterans. I love the treehouse! It looks like such a peaceful place, the opposite of what most of our vets have witnessed across the world.

    Lovely post, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a great park and I love the picture of you with the boys!
    I too hope that the PTSD programme is successful. Nature does have a way to relax you.

    Enjoy your weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to get to see you!! I love the unusual tree house, are there steps to get up there? The bench tables are so cool! Great for picnics. Love the shot of the mountains way off in the distance, and the sunny goldenrod. I sure hope this place succeeds, how is it funded? I would just sit and watch for raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special place to take your sons to visit! I love how all the signs are so meaningful, and what efforts have been taken to build a place for those who suffer from PTSD. Like you, I hope it is successful. What fun to find a blackberry patch! Amazing how fast the kids grow, isn't it! I'm the short one too now, in my family :) Hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely peaceful looking place to visit. I hope this helps those suffering from PTSD. I'm the short one in my family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place. So glad you could enjoy this beautiful place. I know this must help our service men and women that suffer from PTSD. So happy to hear this place is there for them. Have a great weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to have a park for PSTD veterans. It looks so peaceful and beautiful.
    Oh, I love that you found some wild Blackberries. A nice gift for the visitors to the park.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful park. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's lovely, Carla. Wonderful to have something for sufferers of PTSD and to know that it is at least appreciated as a condition - unlike when some of the soldiers during WW1 were treated for shell shock, as it was then called - or just sent back to the front. It looks a beautiful spot - and nice to see a great shot of you and the lads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a magical place. With a blueberry patch!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful park, with a great mission to help. If we ever travel through,I will be sure to stop.
    I love that the trails are of moss, that is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lovely park and those benches are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful park and I love their mission...I do hope that many take advantage of it. It seems like a calming place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a very beautiful park. I hope that those suffering from PSTD will find some peace and relaxation while visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAUTIFUL pictures as always! Of course my favorite is the "I'm the short one" photo! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful place to hike. Love the berries. So fun. Yes you are the little one with those tall boys. :) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!