About The River

Friday, March 9, 2018

The Bib

The Bib

What a strange title for a blog post.
It all began at The Book Across The Bay the ski event our family takes part in that I shared here. 

It all starts with the bus ride. We park our cars in Washburn, we ride a school bus to Ashland. The race starts at 6pm. The wait is the hardest part. If the evening is warm it is not all that bad. We had a wind from the Northwest making the wait cold.

We had a perfect evening for a ski, 20 degrees.

We are able to warm up by the big fire. People donate their Christmas trees to make a huge fire.

It was nice and warm. 
We stayed by the fire warming our fronts and turning our backsides to stay cozy until the race would start.

The start for Wave 3. 
We will be off skiing and warming up soon.

 We decorate our ski poles with glow sticks.

The fire breathing dragon along the trail.

Now you maybe asking, I thought you said this blog post was titled The Bib.

This is my husbands bib from the race. We all wore our bibs on our backs.

This is my bib from the race. We did not notice this until we got done with the race and we started to take off our jackets. 
I thought I heard something make a crackle noise when I had my back turned to the fire. 
It certainly was a crackling noise. It was my bib. It melted! 
It shrunk by two sizes. We could not believe the time chip still worked in it to record my time.

That my friends is the story of The Bib. I do not think I will stand so close to this..

 next year!!


  1. That a good ski story. Your bib was well done, lol. The main thing is that you still had your time keeper chip intact.
    Hugs, Julia

  2. OH my goodness! A little too close to the fire! This race sounds like such a great experience. I'm glad the time chip didn't get fried!

  3. Ohhhhh so glad your timer still worked and you did not get burnt from it melting! Love that you decorate your ski poles with glow sticks too fun. Happy Friday. Have a fabulous weekend.

  4. Lucky nothing caught on fire!! Your photos are really stunning!! The glow sticks, the gorgeous huge fire, the night skiing. It is a gorgeous adventure to be sure. Beauty in a cold night is rare, but you guys really lit up the night with it.

  5. Good Lord! I'm glad you didn't catch on fire, but I'm guessing you were really warm and didn't know why lol Looks like a really fun time :)


  6. LOL Oh my goodness! You almost totally melted your bib! So happy you weren't burned in the process!!!

  7. Luckily your jacket didn't melt. Looks like a fun event.

  8. Oh my, that is really something about your bib melting and the fact that the chip still worked!

  9. Oh my goodness! If I had been there, I probably would have melted my bib too. I tend to get a little closer than I should to sources of heat! Glad your chip still worked.

  10. WOW! You are lucky your jacket didn't catch on fire! It looks like you had a really good time though. Love that you decorate your poles with glow sticks. What a fun thing to do. xo Diana

  11. Goodness! You were a little too close to the fire!
    Loved seeing your photographs.

    Thank you so much for your kind comments on the low carb diabetic blog.
    Wouldn't it be great to enjoy a walk together ...
    For now, we'll have to do it with photographs and friendship that blogland brings.
    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

  12. Well that was a little too close for comfort. Did nothing else get damaged? I stood too close to a gas fire when quite young. Fortunately my dressing gown was made from fireproof material so the bottom just smouldered and gave off a horrible smell. would have been very different if the fabric had been flammable. I think you were definitely lucky.

  13. I love reading about your snowy adventures. The glow sticks were a great idea. I remember warming myself by a coal heater, turning around and around. Have a blessed week!

  14. That is so scary! We have fires like that at our beach sometime, the fire department always comes down to man the wood. Now I see why...Looks like fun though. :)


High Fives from Wisconsin!