About The River

Monday, February 10, 2020

Floral Design and Ready, Set, Grow ... 2020 Winter Garden Seminar






 On February 1st you would have found me at the Eau Claire Area Master Gardener
Ready, Set, Grow ... 2020 Winter Garden Seminar

 It was another fun seminar.
We started the morning with a keynote speaker, Bonnie Blodgett.
She lost her sense of smell. It was interesting to hear how she began to garden different after this.

After the keynote speaker we breakout into sessions that we have decided on. This seminar I went to the Floral Design, The Local Food Movement in your Community and Growing Hemp in Wisconsin breakout sessions.  All of the sessions where well done. My favorite was the Floral Design.


 Shaun Christensen ~ Christensen Florist and Greenhouses
Shaun was a fantastic, down to earth teacher.
Christensen Florist started in 1924, the stories that Shaun shared as he helped his grandparents during his childhood years made the session extra special.


 I learned several tips and tricks.
The number one tip, cut your stems with a florist knife.


Just a few of the amazing designs.



My lucky number is 12. With a 12/12 birthday, how can it not be my lucky number. Ha Ha!
I did win a door prize at the seminar. I was number 12!
A grow bag full of goodies. A Fiskar pruner, a herb book, garden gloves, starting pots made of cow compost and seeds.
I have not used a grow bag before. My garden friend Carol has used them for several years and likes using them. It will be fun for me to try.
With all this talking about getting out in the garden I have a wee bit of Spring Fever!
 ♥
Carla 

 

15 comments:

  1. That looks like a great seminar! Lucky you winning that great goodie bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a fun win! And lucky indeed...I'm a 12 birthday, too!! Just not in December. ;) And florist's knife, huh? I'll have to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Carla, the first day of spring is next month! I have never heard of a grow bag, how is it used? Instead of a flowerpot? Your bag of goodies is awesome! What is this beautiful yellow plant in your first picture?? And how did Bonnie lose her smell sense? I have a friend at church who had to have sinus surgery, and it caused her to lose both her smell and taste! And she is the church cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a good event to go to and congratulations on your prize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh You have me thinking of blooms and we are many months away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your win! New garden supplies and ideas are always welcome, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww so glad you won. 12/12 is a great and lucky number. I am thinking early spring and hoping to see some tulips and spring flowers soon. Sounds like the seminar was a good one. Glad you got away to go. Happy Tuesday and have a wonderful week.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have spring fever, too - it looks like a great seminar! I didn't know your birthday was on the 12th - mine is the 12th of October!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, now that would be fun. My grandmothers were florsts, and I am sure I have inherited there passion for flowers. Great door prize too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winter is a perfect time to learn something new about gardening. Except for making you antsy to actually be doing it, right?

    Losing your sense of smell would be such a loss. My husband's sense of smell is almost gone too. It affects his enjoyment of food so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky 12! How neat is that! I know you are anxious for warm weather to garden! Won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that sounds like an enjoyable time. Way to go on winning the door prize. I love floral arranging. I use to run a small plant/flower kiosk in a mall. I did flower arrangements and other things like boutonnieres.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had an enjoyable time.
    Congratulations on your win.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on winning the prize! I'm not a gardener or florist by any means but do love to look at flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun and inspiring event. Perfect way to get the garden dreams going!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!